A basic recipe from Transylvanian cuisine is white bean soup with smoked ribs. And especially with tarragon and sour cream, and served with red onion and fresh bread. Amazing!
Table of Contents
- Let’s See How I Cook Step by Step the White Bean Soup With Smoked Ribs
- Finishing the Soup
- Serving This Delicious White Beans Soup
This soup recipe is cooked especially in the cold year, in winter, and is very nourishing. Most of the time, the soup was served as the main course, followed by cream cheese filling crepes.
This recipe has two primary ingredients, the beans and the smoked part.
I will use white cannellini beans in this version, but other types can be used, like kidney beans or pinto beans. And if you do not want to spend much time in the kitchen, you can use canned beans.
Similarly, instead of smoked ribs, there are many other options such as smoked ham, smoked sausage or smoked hack. They all have a unique taste; the difference is just their boiling time.
Let’s See How I Cook Step by Step the White Bean Soup With Smoked Ribs
Prepare the Beans
I put about 750 g (26.5 oz) of white beans soaked in cold water for the beginning. We can make about 6-8 servings of soup from this quantity. If you use dry beans, this operation is necessary to reduce the boiling time.
I usually soak the beans one night before making the recipe. If you use canned beans, this is not necessary.
Let me tell you a trick. I soaked 1 kg of beans, from which, after boiling, I will extract about 250 g, and from which I will make a delicious salad with red onion, dill and olive oil.
Prepare the Ribs
I also use about 750 g of smoked ribs. The quantity used may differ, depending on the preferences of each one.
The ribs being whole, I cut them into smaller pieces, to fit better on a soup pot.
To keep the smoky taste from being too pronounced, I put the rib soaked in cold water for an hour.
The next step is to throw the water in which the bean was soaked and put it to boil. For this, I put the beans in a soup pot, and I pour the cold water over it until it is well coated.
For the beans to be easily digestible, pour the water on them after boiling for about 10 minutes. I fill the pot with another water, then with hot water and repeat the operation.
After that, place the smoked ribs in the pot and let everything boil over medium heat until the beans and ribs make it.
The boiling time depends on the beans used and can vary between 1.5 and 2 hours.
If you use canned beans, just put the smoked ribs to the boil and only the beans at the end.
Finishing the Soup
When the white beans are done, put a can of chopped tomatoes in the pot.
We will make a thickening of oil, wheat flour and paprika. You can find the thickening recipe step by step on the recipe page of smoked sausage potato soup.
My method of thickening the soup is to put the thickening in a sieve and mix in the soup until everything dissolves.
For this, you must first take the pot from the fire, and the soup does not boil.
Season with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and vegetable mix. I boil for about 10 minutes, and at the end, I put a tablespoon of chopped tarragon.
If you do not have tarragon, you can replace it with parsley or dill.
Serving This Delicious White Beans Soup
This white bean soup we are serving with sour cream, fresh bread, and a red onion salad in our family.
I wish you enjoy it and I look forward to your comments on this recipe. If you want other delicious soup recipes, I recommend the following:
- Tripe Soup Recipe
- Best Fish Soup Recipe
- Traditional Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe
- Cabbage Soup With Pork Meat
If using smoked pork heck or picnic, you can first boil the pork separately, and use the smoked water to boil the beans.
If you make white bean soup with smoked sausage, first boil the beans, and add the sausages to the middle of the boil
White Beans Soup with Smoked Ribs
- For the beginning, I put about 750 g of white beans soaked in cold water. I usually soak the beans one night before making the recipe. I put the rib soaked in cold water for an hour.
- The next step is to throw the water in which the bean was soaked and to put it to the boil. For this, we put the beans in a soup pot and pour the cold water over it until it is well coated. After that, I put the smoked ribs in the pot and let everything boil over medium heat, until the beans and ribs are done.
- When the white beans are almost done, put a can of chopped tomatoes in the pot. We are going to make a thickening of oil, wheat flour and paprika. My method of thickening the soup is to put the thickening in a sieve and mix in the soup until everything dissolves.
- Season with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and vegetable mix. We boil for about 10 minutes, and at the end, we put a tablespoon of chopped tarragon.