If you are hungry, I suggest a tasty and satisfying recipe, such as chorizo sausage and bean casserole, with Transylvanian aromas. You’ll see step by step how to make one of the most loved bean recipes.
Just like the white bean soup with smoked ribs recipe, in Transylvania, beans are often combined with smokes, such as sausage, ham or ribs. We will also do this bean stew recipe and will see how tasty it will be.
Let’s Start With Ingredients
I used in this recipe 500 g of pinto beans, which I consider to be delicious and suitable in this dish. But if you want you can make the recipe with butter beans or cannellini beans.
Being a dry bean and requiring a longer boiling time, I put the beans to soak, the night before. That means I washed the beans and left it in a bowl, covered with cold water, overnight.
I also used a medium-sized onion, about 200 g chorizo sausage and about 100 g smoked bacon.
And let’s not forget the tomatoes! Because it is not the season of tomatoes, we used a can of tomatoes and about 200 ml tomato paste.
How to Make the Chorizo Sausage and Bean Casserole?
I started with beans because I used dried beans. I threw the water in which the bean was soaked, and I put it in a pot to boil in cold water. After the beans had boiled for about 10-15 minutes, I poured the water on it and replaced it, this time with hot water and continued boiling.
Through this procedure, you can reduce the effect of flatulence after consuming beans. If you use canned beans, which is already boiled, you can skip this step.
The boiling time of the beans depends on the type of beans used and the type of pot used for boiling. In a normal pot, I boiled the beans for about an hour, then I poured the water and put the beans in a strainer.
I cleaned and chopped the onion.
I also cut the bacon, and cut the sausage into slices not too thin.
For the beginning, we heat five tablespoons of oil in a pot and fry the onion.
Fry the onion for about a minute, then add the chopped bacon.
I seasoned with sea salt, freshly ground pepper and sweet paprika powder.
We roast everything for about five minutes, then add the chorizo sausage.
After another five minutes, add the boiled beans and mix gently.
Pour over a can of chopped tomatoes.
I also added 3-4 bay leaves and about 300 ml of tomatoes passata.
Add hot water as close as possible to cover, and boil another 20-30 minutes.
And here it is! The chorizo sausage and bean casserole is ready, and it’s very tasty!
This delicious bean stew is served simply with fresh bread.
In our family in Transylvania, it is served with red onion salad or pickled cucumbers. You can try these options yourself.
I recommend other tasty stew recipes:
Chorizo Sausage and Bean Casserole
- 500 g pinto beans
- 200 g chorizo sausage
- 100 g smoked bacon
- 1 piece onion medium size
- 1 can canned chopped tomatoes
- 200 ml tomatoes paste
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 pieces bay leaves
- Because I used dry beans, I washed the beans and left it in a bowl, covered with cold water, overnight. I boiled the beans for about an hour, then I poured the water and put the beans in a strainer.
- I cleaned and chopped the onion, I also cut the bacon and cut the sausage into slices not too thin. Heat five tablespoons of oil in a pot and start fry the onion. Fry the onion for about a minute, then add the chopped bacon.
- I seasoned with sea salt, freshly ground pepper and sweet paprika powder. Roast everything for about five minutes, then add the chorizo sausage. After another five minutes, add the boiled beans and mix gently.
- Pour over a can of chopped tomatoes and also add 3-4 bay leaves and about 300 ml of tomatoes pasta. Add hot water as close as possible to cover everything, and boil another 20-30 minutes.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hi, I am Timea and together with my husband Laci we decided to invite you to our virtual kitchen, see how to cook and how tasty the Transylvanian cuisine is.Learn more