Today, I will show you how I do the slow-cooked pork shoulder in the oven because it is one of my favourites menu for dinner and a perfect substitute for sausages or salamis. You will see that we will get a slice of juicy meat, very tasty but with a firm constitution not pulled.
I will use pork, a piece of the shoulder joint (Boston butt), which is very suitable for this recipe because it also contains fat that will prevent the meat from drying out.
For six servings I will use a 1.5 kg piece of pork shoulder joint which I bought ready-tied, just seasoning it and putting it in the oven with half a sweet red pepper.
Who wants, can add other vegetables such as onions, leeks, garlic, depending on everyone’s imagination and favourite tastes, I chose today to make it easier.
The pork meat will still be seasoned, you will see what kind of spices I will add, they being my favourites and I use them very often.
How to Make the Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder in the Oven?
Because the piece of meat is already bound, I just have to season it before putting it in the oven. For this, I will put all the spices in a cup or in a little bowl where I will mix them first.
I used a teaspoon and a half of vegetable mix for soups, half a teaspoon of garlic powder, half a teaspoon of smoked paprika, half a teaspoon of ground caraway, half a teaspoon of sea salt and half a teaspoon of sweet paprika powder.
To bind all these spices, I added two tablespoons of sunflower oil (or extra virgin olive oil) and four sprigs of finely chopped thyme. I mixed all these spices until I got a homogeneous paste that I will apply over the meat.
Put the meat in a bowl, pour the spice paste over it and massage it lightly on all sides so that these spices reach everywhere on the pork shoulder.
We took an oven tray, I chose a form of a heat-resistant glass oven dish, in which I added two tablespoons of sunflower oil and then placed the seasoned meat in it for the beginning with the skin down.
I added to the tray half of the red pepper cut into coarser slices and about a cup of water (200 ml) and I seasoned it with half a teaspoon of sea salt.
Put aluminium foil on top and put it in the preheated oven at 240 degrees Celsius for ten minutes. After that, reduce the temperature to 160 degrees Celsius and let it cook for three hours, halfway through turning the meat upside down.
Remove the foil, sprinkle the skin with the juice from the tray and leave for another 15 minutes without the foil to take on a golden colour.
This was my version of slow-cooked pork shoulder in the oven, in which we obtained soft and juicy meat that can be served in many ways.
It can be served hot, sliced after removing the string with which it was tied with mashed potatoes or potato salad with mayonnaise or only with a summer salad.
My favourite option is to let it cool completely, then cut it into small pieces and serve it with fresh bread, French mustard, tomatoes and a glass of cold beer. I guarantee that you will not want any sausages or salamis after tasting this recipe.
If you liked my recipe for slow-cooked pork shoulder in the oven, I also recommend other baked meat recipes such as:
- Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb Recipe
- Braised Pork Knuckle Recipe
- Oven Baked Turkey Legs Recipe
- Easy Oven Baked Pork Steak Recipe
- Oven Roasted Turkey Thighs Recipe
- Best Braised Duck Legs Recipe
Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder in the Oven
- heat-resistant glass oven dish
- 1.5 kg pork shoulder joint
- 1/2 piece red bell pepper
- 1.5 tsp vegetable mix for soups
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp caraway powder
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme chopped
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cup water
- Put all the spices in a little bowl: the vegetable mix, garlic powder, smoked paprika, caraway powder, sweet paprika, chopped thyme, sea salt and 2 tbsp sunflower oil and mix them first.
- Put the meat in a bowl, pour the spice paste over it and massage it lightly on all sides so that these spices reach everywhere.
- Add to the tray the half red pepper cut into coarser slices and about a cup of water (200 ml) and season it with half a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Cover with aluminium foil and put it in the preheated oven at 240 degrees Celsius for ten minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 160 degrees Celsius and let it cook for three hours, halfway through turning the meat upside down.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle the skin with the juice from the tray and leave for another 15 minutes. Serve hot, sliced, with mashed potatoes or other side dish or let it cool completely, then cut it into small pieces and serve it with fresh bread, French mustard, tomatoes and a glass of cold beer.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hi, I am Timea and together with my husband Laci we decided to invite you to our virtual kitchen, see how to cook and how tasty the Transylvanian cuisine is.Learn more