This old-fashioned peach cake recipe is a delicious and easy way to enjoy the flavours of summer, even if you don’t have fresh peaches on hand. Made with canned peaches, this cake is moist, fluffy, and full of flavour. It’s also incredibly easy to make, even for beginners.
Here are some specific reasons why we love old-fashioned peach cake:
- The flavour is amazing. The combination of sweet peaches, moist cake, and the topping is simply heavenly.
- The texture is perfect. Old-fashioned peach cake is light and fluffy, with just the right amount of sweetness and tartness.
- It’s a crowd-pleaser. Old-fashioned peach cake is a classic dessert that everyone loves. It’s perfect for any occasion, from a family gathering to a potluck dinner.
- It’s easy to make. Old-fashioned peach cake is a simple recipe that even beginner bakers can follow. It doesn’t require any special ingredients or equipment.
- It’s versatile. You can use fresh, frozen, or canned peaches to make old-fashioned peach cake. You can also add other fruits, such as blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.
Table of Contents
Overall, old-fashioned peach cake is a delicious, easy-to-make, and versatile dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It’s no wonder that it’s so popular!
Let me show you what ingredients I used in my version of this delicious peach cake.
- 500 g Sliced Canned Peaches: The star of the show, peaches add sweetness, tartness, and a lovely texture to the cake.
- Three Eggs: Eggs help to bind the ingredients together and provide moisture to the cake.
- 200 g of Flour: The foundation of the cake, flour provides structure and helps to bind the ingredients together.
- 150 g Sugar: Sugar adds sweetness to the peach cake and helps to create a moist texture.
- 1/2 tsp of Baking powder: This leavening agent helps the cake to rise and become light and fluffy.
- 130 g Greek Yoghurt: Adds a touch of richness and enhances the tender crumb of the cake.
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Sugar: Vanilla sugar adds depth of flavour and aroma to the cake.
- 150 ml Sunflower Oil: Oil contributes tenderness and richness to the texture.
How to Make the Old-Fashioned Peach Cake Recipe?
Make the Batter
The recipe is very simple and you can make it in a very short time. First, put the sugar and eggs in a bowl and mix them with a hand mixer until the sugar dissolves.
Add the Greek yogurt and continue mixing until the yogurt is incorporated and you get a thin paste.
Mix the flour with the baking powder and add it to the bowl, and pour in the sunflower oil.
Keep mixing until you get a thicker paste without lumps of flour. It is slightly thicker than pancake batter.
Baking the Peach Cake
Choose a suitable baking form for this amount of batter. I chose a square ceramic 24 x 24 cm size. Grease the baking form with butter and sprinkle with flour. This will help to prevent the cake from sticking to the sides of the baking form.
Pour the dough into the baking form and level it to reach evenly in all corners.
Arrange the peach slices on top of the batter in any desired pattern or shape. The batter is thick enough to support the peach slices and prevent them from sinking during baking.
Sprinkle a spoonful of vanilla sugar on top, which will caramelize nicely and give it an extra flavour.
Place the baking dish in a preheated oven at 180°C (356°F) and bake for approximately 45 minutes. The baking time may vary depending on the thickness of the batter and the type of oven being used.
This was my old fashioned peach cake recipe, as simple to make as it is delicious.
How to Serve the Cake?
Old-fashioned peach cake is a delightful dessert that can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature. Here are some suggestions for serving this classic dessert:
- A dusting of powdered sugar: Sift powdered sugar over the cake for an elegant presentation and a subtle sweetness.
- A drizzle of honey or maple syrup: Honey or maple syrup adds a touch of sweetness and depth of flavour, balancing the tartness of the peaches.
- A dollop of whipped cream: Whipped cream adds a touch of lightness and sweetness to the cake, enhancing its overall richness.
- With a scoop of vanilla ice cream: The cool, creamy ice cream perfectly complements the warm, peachy cake, creating a delightful contrast in textures and flavours.
If you enjoyed my peach cake recipe, it means you have a sweet tooth, and I recommend you try some more of my favourite dessert recipes:
- Cottage Cheese Donuts-Transylvanian Recipe
- Grated Apple Fritters Recipe
- Hungarian Plum Dumplings
- Gluten-Free Yoghurt Cake
- Noodle Kugel With Raisins
- Best Cottage Cheese Dumplings
- Floating Island Cake Recipe
How to Store?
Old-fashioned peach cake is a delicious and comforting dessert that can be enjoyed for days after baking. Proper storage is crucial to maintain its freshness and flavour. Here’s a guide on how to store old-fashioned peach cake:
- Cool Completely: Allow the cake to cool completely to room temperature before storing. This prevents condensation from forming inside the storage container, which can lead to sogginess.
- Cover Tightly: Once cooled, wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or aluminium foil. This prevents the cake from drying out and absorbing ambient flavours.
- Store in an Airtight Container: Place the wrapped cake in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. This further protects the cake from moisture loss and flavour contamination.
- Refrigerate: Store the wrapped cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Duration: Stored at room temperature, old-fashioned peach cake will remain fresh for up to 2 days.
I encourage you to try this recipe and share your creations with us! Post photos of your delicious peach cake on our social media pages. You can also subscribe to our blog and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter for more baking inspiration. Don’t forget to pin recipe ideas on Pinterest and check out our cooking videos on YouTube.
Old-Fashioned Peach Cake Recipe
- 1 electric hand mixer
- 1 ceramic baking dish
- 150 g sugar caster
- 3 pcs eggs free-range
- 130 g Greek yoghurt full fat
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 200 g flour wheat
- 150 ml sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp flour wheat
- 500 g sliced peach canned
- 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
- Put the sugar and eggs in a bowl and mix them with a hand mixer until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the Greek yogurt and continue mixing until the yogurt is incorporated.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder and add it to the bowl.
- Pour in the sunflower oil and keep mixing until you get a thicker paste without lumps of flour.
- Grease the ceramic baking form with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Pour the dough into the baking form and level it to reach evenly in all corners.
- Arrange the peach slices on top of the batter in any desired pattern or shape and sprinkle the vanilla sugar on top.
- Place the baking dish in a preheated oven at 180°C (356°F) and bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Let it cool and sift powdered sugar over the cake for an elegant presentation and a subtle sweetness.