The best cabbage soup recipe is an old recipe, which I learned in my youth from my grandmother. Is a nourishing soup with pork meat, full of flavours typical of the Transylvanian area.
Table of Contents
- What Ingredients Do We Need?
- How to Prepare the Ingredients?
- How to Make the Best Cabbage Soup Recipe?
- Serving the Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
This recipe is made only with fresh pork and fresh cabbage, and you will see step by step how easy it is to make.
What Ingredients Do We Need?
We need cabbage; I chose a medium-sized white autumn cabbage, about 1.5 kg. But you can also be made from summer cabbage, no problem.
We still need pork meat; I used about 700 g (1.5 lb) of pork shoulder because I consider it suitable for this recipe.
In addition to these two primary ingredients, I also used two medium-sized onions and a bunch of fresh dills.
How to Prepare the Ingredients?
First, clean and finely chop the onions, because with these we will start cooking.
Clean the meat from the very fatty parts if you don’t want to eat them, and cut them into suitable cubes, not very large
Remove the first more withered leaves from the cabbage, cut it in four, and then slice it.
I try to slice very thin because I wouldn’t say I like having thick slices of cabbage on my plate.
And we still have to finely chop the dill, which we will add to the soup.
How to Make the Best Cabbage Soup Recipe?
From the beginning, we make a pork stew which will be the basis of the dish. For this, in a soup pot, heat 100 ml of sunflower oil (or a tablespoon of pork lard), in which we fry the finely chopped onion.
Season with a teaspoon of sea salt, a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and a teaspoon of caraway powder ( or caraway seeds ).
Fry for about a minute until the onion becomes translucent, then add the diced meat.
Fry the meat, stirring, until it turns white, then add a tablespoon of sweet pepper paste.
Stir and cook over medium heat under the lid for about 10 minutes in its juice.
Then pour a little warm water on top to cover the meat and let it boil under the lid for about 30 minutes, until the meat is half cooked.
Now add the sliced cabbage to the pot over the stew.
Mix carefully, to receive the cabbage with all the flavours of the stew.
Let the cabbage simmer for about a minute, then pour enough hot water to cover everything well. I filled the pot with water.
When the soup started to boil, I added the chopped dill. I prefer to add it now, then at the end, when the soup is ready.
Still, I add about 400 g of tomato paste, adding extra flavour and acidity.
Simmer everything for another 40-50 minutes until the cabbage is done, then taste the soup and, if necessary, season. I add one tablespoon of vegetable mix from soups.
At this point, we can say that the soup is ready, and you can consume it as such. But I chose to make a thickening to make the soup more consistent. But whoever doesn’t want to can stop here.
So I made a thickening from sunflower oil, wheat flour and paprika, whose recipe you will find in the smoked potato soup.
I poured this thickening into the soup, I let everything boil for another five minutes, and that’s it. That is the best cabbage soup recipe, in my opinion.
Serving the Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
Leave the soup pot aside, let it cool a bit, and then serve it in soup bowls with fresh bread.
You can also add a tablespoon of sour cream and a little hot pepper to feel the flavours of the best cabbage soup.
Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1.5 kg cabbage white
- 700 g pork meat shoulder
- 2 pieces onions medium-size
- 1 bunch dill chopped
- 400 ml tomato passata jar
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp caraway powder or seeds
- 1 tbsp pepper paste sweet
- 1 tbsp vegetable mix from soups
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- Heat the sunflower oil fry the finely chopped onion in a soup pot. Season with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, and caraway powder or seeds. Fry for about a minute until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the diced pork meat and stir it until it turns white. Add the sweet pepper paste, stir and cook over medium heat, under the lid, for about 10 minutes. Then pour warm water on top to cover the meat and let it boil for about 30 minutes until the meat is half cooked.
- Add sliced cabbage over the stew, mix carefully, let it simmer for about a minute, then pour enough hot water to cover everything well. When the soup starts to boil, add the chopped dill and the tomato passata. Simmer everything for another 40-50 minutes.
- Made a thickening from sunflower oil, wheat flour and paprika, added to the soup, and let everything boil for another five minutes—season with the vegetable mix for soups or add more salt.