These tasty vegan garlic mushrooms served on a slice of toast can be an ideal appetizer at dinner or served as a Spanish tapas with a glass of wine. Because it’s an easy recipe and is ready in just half an hour, it is available to anyone to surprise dinner guests with a perfect snack.
Table of Contents
I will make today’s recipe from white cultivated mushrooms (champignon). But if you want a more dominant mushroom taste, you can add or make it from forest mushrooms (chanterelle or porcini); they will be even more delicious.
You can modify this mushroom recipe by adding mayonnaise or sour cream, making it creamier, but I chose to make the more uncomplicated and healthier version.
I will use 400 g (0.88 lbs) of white mushrooms, a medium-sized yellow onion and four cloves of garlic for four portions. These portions are not large because I will serve the mushrooms with garlic as an appetizer before the main menu. You can increase the quantities if you want more significant portions or to serve more people.
Other ingredients needed in this recipe are:
- two spoons of olive oil, in which I will fry the onion;
- three sprigs of fresh thyme because I love its aroma;
- half a bunch of chives, which amplifies the taste of the onion;
- half a bunch of parsley; it goes very well with the mushrooms and will give colour to the dish;
- one teaspoon of sea salt, without which no meal is possible;
- one teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, which, together with salt, is the basis of all seasonings;
- one teaspoon of the vegetable mix for soups.
How to Make the Vegan Garlic Mushrooms?
Preparing the Ingredients
As those who follow me know, I like to prepare all the ingredients first, so I start with the mushrooms. You don’t have to wash them with water, but clean them of any dust or soil with a brush. Whoever wants can remove the skin from the mushroom cap, but I didn’t do it; I just sliced them roughly so that the texture of the mushroom would feel when we eat it.
I cut the onion not too small because, anyway, it won’t break down during cooking. After all, I don’t cook it too much. But it will soften and have a texture similar to that of mushrooms, which will be delicious.
I will finely chop the chives and parsley, add half of them during sautéing so that the mushrooms extract their flavours and the other half at the end for colour and taste.
Making the Sautee
In a deeper frying pan, I will heat the olive oil (or you can use sunflower oil) at a medium temperature, after which I will sauté the chopped onions. I don’t want the onion to fry or caramelize but just to soften; that’s why I now add sea salt, which will help eliminate its liquid content.
After about two minutes, I add the sliced mushrooms on top of the onions and mix them gently with a wooden spoon. The mushrooms have a high water content, which they will gradually start to eliminate after about a minute or two and begin to saute in their juice.
When the mushrooms start to saute and decrease in volume, I season them with freshly ground black pepper, the vegetable mix for soups and the cleaned leaves from the thyme sprigs. Also, I add half of the chopped parsley with chives, and garlic, which I press directly into the pan.
Let everything saute on medium to low heat, stirring from time to time, until all the liquid evaporates, then turn off the heat and add the rest of the parsley and chives.
And so, in just a few minutes, I finished. This was my delicious vegan garlic mushrooms recipe made in Timea’s kitchen style, but it has always been a crazy success.
How to Serve the Garlic Mushrooms?
If you want to serve these vegan garlic mushrooms as an appetizer or tapas, I recommend you to do it on some slices of toasted bread and possibly a tomato salad on the side. But it can also be served as a side dish with roasted free-range chicken or garlic butter roasted chicken; it’s tasty.
If you liked the vegan garlic mushrooms on toast (I tell you, it is delicious), I could also recommend you other ideas for appetizer recipes that have been successful with us, such as:
- Eggplant With Minced Pork
- Vegan Guacamole
- Spinach and Feta Rolls
- Battered Fried Zucchini
- Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Recipe
- Best Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Recipe
- Zucchini Balls Recipe
- Creamy Mozzarella Polenta
If you want to like and share the vegan garlic mushrooms recipe, you can do it on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages or pin it on Pinterest for your collection. But if you want to see how I prepare these recipes, you can do it and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
Vegan Garlic Mushrooms
- 400 g mushrooms white
- 1 piece onion yellow, medium size
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp vegetable mix dried
- 3 sprigs thyme fresh
- ½ bunch parsley chopped
- ½ bunch chives chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Slice the mushrooms roughly, cut the onion into small pieces and chop the parsley and the chives.
- Heat the olive oil into the pan at a medium temperature, after which sauté the chopped onions for two minutes. Season with sea salt.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, and mix them gently for 1-2 minutes, until starting to saute in their juice.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper, the vegetable mix for soups and the cleaned leaves from the thyme sprigs.
- Press the garlic directly into the pan and add half of the chopped parsley with chives.
- Saute it on medium to low heat until all the liquid evaporates, then turn off the heat and add the rest of the parsley and chives.
- Serve these vegan garlic mushrooms as an appetizer or tapas with toasted bread and tomato salad.