This frozen mussels recipe is a delicious combination of shelled mussels, fennel and fresh tagliatelle pasta in the double cream and white wine sauce. It’s a simple, quick and easy recipe to make, but you’ll get a delicious dinner for you and your unprepared guests.
Table of Contents
- Why I Use Frozen Mussels Meat?
- How to Make the Frozen Mussels Recipe?
- Serving the Mussels Pasta
I recommend this delicious and creamy recipe with fresh pasta that we will cook today and the famous king prawn noodles recipe for shellfish lovers.
Why I Use Frozen Mussels Meat?
I always prefer to have mussels or prawns in the freezer, which I can use, especially when I need to prepare a dinner for several people. It’s easy to cook because they are precooked, without a shell, so it is effortless to cook with them; they only need a few minutes to be ready, and I will add them towards the end of the recipe.
If you want to make the frozen mussels recipe from fresh mussels, you must cook them beforehand, i.e. boiled in a bit of water and wine, under the lid until they open, and after that, the fleshy part of the mussels is removed from the shells and added to the pasta.
From this frozen mussels recipe I will use 500 g (1.10 lb) of cooked and frozen mussels and 400 g ( 0.90 lb) of fresh tagliatelle pasta to get four servings.
Because we have to add some vegetables, I will use a fennel bulb, a sweet red pepper, a shallot, three cloves of garlic and a bunch of parsley.
I will also make a sauce that will boil the fresh pasta and mussel meat from 300 ml (10 fl oz) of double cream and 300 ml (10 fl oz) of semi-dry white wine.
How to Make the Frozen Mussels Recipe?
Preparing the Ingredients
I will finely chop the onion and garlic cloves for the beginning because I will start the recipe with their frying. Because the cooking time is short, I like to cut them very small so that they cook as quickly as possible.
Next comes the fennel bulb, which, after removing the first row from the peel, I cut in half, then again in two and sliced as thin as possible.
Frying the Vegetables
In a large frying pan or wok, heat 50 ml ( 3.5 tablespoons) of olive oil and a tablespoon of unsalted butter and put the onion and minced garlic to fry over medium heat.
After a minute:
- Add the sliced fennel.
- Season with a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Simmer, occasionally stirring, for about two minutes so that the fennel softens a little.
Now you can add the sliced sweet pepper, along with half a teaspoon of dried chilli, which will flavour the dish, and sauté over medium to low heat for about three minutes.
Add Liquid Ingredients
Before I add the pasta, I will make a kind of sauce in which this tagliatelle pasta will boil, so I will add the white wine to the pan first and let it simmer for a minute to remove the alcohol content.
Now add the whipped cream, season with one teaspoon of sea salt, mix and leave for a minute to reach boiling temperature and mix with the wine, forming a delicious sauce.
Add the Pasta and the Frozen Mussels
I add tagliatelle pasta, which, because it is fresh, does not need more than five minutes to cook. If you use dry pasta, they must first be boiled “al dente” beforehand in salted water, then drained and added to the sauce.
I seasoned it with half a teaspoon of garlic powder and a teaspoon of dried oregano to add more flavour to the dish.
After two minutes, add the frozen mussels and chopped parsley, mix lightly so that they incorporate into the pasta and sauce, put the lid on and leave everything for another three minutes. It is an excellent idea to cover with a lid because the liquid inside does not evaporate, it will absorb by the pasta, and all the heat remains inside.
With this, I finished the frozen mussels recipe; you can let them sit for another five minutes with the lid on, after which you can serve them.
Serving the Mussels Pasta
This frozen mussels recipe which is tagliatelle pasta with mussels in white wine and double cream sauce is served hot, with a little chopped parsley sprinkled on top and lemon slices next to it; they are so delicious.
If you liked my frozen mussels recipe and you want other tasty pasta recipes, I can recommend you from our blog and others, such as:
- Turkey Lasagna With White Sauce
- Vegan Pasta and Cabbage Recipe
- Best Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
- Pasta With Pork Mince Mushrooms and Double Cream
- Hungarian Mushroom Paprikash
- Dutch Oven Turkey Tenderloin Recipe
Frozen Mussels Recipe
- 500 g mussels cooked
- 400 g tagliatelle pasta fresh
- 1 piece fennel bulb
- 1 piece sweet red pepper
- 1 piece shallot
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch parsley
- 300 ml double cream
- 300 ml white wine
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Heat the olive oil and the unsalted butter in a large frying pan and put the onion and minced garlic to fry over medium heat for one minute.
- After a minute, add the sliced fennel, season with a teaspoon of sea salt, and simmer for about two minutes so that the fennel softens a little.
- Add the sliced sweet pepper, dried chilli, and sauté over medium to low heat for about three minutes.
- Add the white wine to the pan first and let it simmer for a minute to remove the alcohol content; after that, add the double cream, season with sea salt, mix and leave for a minute.
- You can add tagliatelle pasta, season it with garlic powder and dried oregano to add more flavour to the dish and simmer for two minutes.
- Next are the frozen shells and chopped parsley, mix lightly to incorporate into the pasta and sauce, put the lid on and leave everything for another three minutes.
- Let them sit for another five minutes with the lid on, after which you can serve them.
- This pasta with mussels in white wine and double cream sauce is served hot, with a little chopped parsley sprinkled on top and lemon slices next to it.