For all cheesecake lovers, I will teach you how to make the best Russian cheesecake recipe, a recipe as simple as it is delicious, with raisins and glace cherries. Although it requires baking, any beginner can try this recipe in dessert recipes because it’s easy to make, like the gluten-free yoghurt cake recipe.
Table of Contents
The Russian cheesecake ( Vatrushka ) is an Eastern European recipe formed as a dough ring with cottage cheese or cream cheese, raisins or other dried fruits. So I will make the recipe with raisins, but instead of candied fruit, I will use French glace cherries, which will give the dessert an interesting colour and taste.
These are the Ingredients
As you can see, instead of cottage cheese or curd cheese, I used soft cream cheese, about 800 g, which will give a finer consistency to the cake and will be more frothy.
Next, I will use five medium-sized whole eggs, fresh eggs from free-range chickens, which is a very important aspect.
Among the dry ingredients, we also mention 80 g semolina and 150 g sugar (I put granulated sugar, but it can be replaced with powdered sugar) and a sachet of vanilla sugar.
We can also mention dairy products such as sour cream, about 200 ml and 50 g of butter, which we will melt.
These will form the base of the dough, which we will introduce to give colour and flavour to the grated peel of a lemon, 50 g raisins (which we have previously soaked in hot water and rum essence), and 200 g French glace cherries.
How to Make the Batter From the Best Russian Cheesecake Recipe?
Mix Them All
I think it is the simplest part of the recipe, in which we put everything in a bowl and mix them well. But let’s take them one at a time. We have the cream cheese we have already put in a mixing bowl, over which we will break the five eggs individually.
Over them, we pour the sugar and the semolina that we weighed beforehand, and the sour cream.
Over this, I put the vanilla sugar and the last ingredient, the butter, which I melted. We will put the fruits later.
Now we can mix them, which can be done with an egg beater or an electric mixer, as I did. The batter will be lighter and more frothy.
The dough is ready, and we put it in the fridge for about half an hour to soften the semolina. After 30 minutes, we can add the fruits like grated lemon peel, raisins and glace cherries. Now, you can add candied fruit, such as prunes or apricots, nuts and peanuts.
We mix everything with a wooden spoon, and ready, we can start baking.
Baking the Cheesecake
For this, I took a 240mm springform baking pan, which I greased with butter so as not to stick.
We easily pour all the batter in this form, and because the dough is quite fluid, it is unnecessary to level it.
I chose a larger shape because even if the dough fills the shape only halfway, it will grow quite a lot during baking, and I don’t want to give it out.
Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius (356 F) and bake the dough for about 45-50 minutes until it turns golden. It can be tested with a toothpick if the cake is well made; inserting it in the middle, the dough should not stick to it.
Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool, then we can take it out of shape and put it in the fridge to keep it better and slice it easier.
This was the best Russian cheesecake recipe, ready to serve.
It can be served either warm, before putting it in the fridge, or cold with other fruits such as grapes, blueberries or raspberries.
If you have tried and liked the best Russian cheesecake recipe, I recommend you try other cottage cheese recipes from our blog, such as:
The Best Russian Cheesecake Recipe
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 springform cake pan
- 800 g soft cheese cream or cottage cheese
- 5 pieces whole eggs medium-size
- 150 g granulated sugar or powdered sugar
- 80 g semolina
- 200 ml sour cream
- 50 g unsalted butter melted
- 1 sachet vanila sugar
- 50 g raisins
- 200 g French glace cherries
- 1 piece lemon zest
- Put the cream cheese in a mixing bowl with the five eggs. Over them, pour sugar, semolina and sour cream, add the vanilla sugar and the melted butter.
- Mix them with an electric mixer and put them in the fridge to rest for about half an hour.
- After 30 minutes, add fruits like raisins, glace cherries, and the grated lemon peel.
- Take a springform cake pan, and grease it with butter. Pour all the batter in this form, put it in the preheated oven to 180 degrees and bake it for about 45-50 minutes until it turns golden.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool, then take it out of shape and put it in the fridge to keep it better and slice it more effortless.
- It can be served either warm before putting it in the fridge or cold with other fruits such as grapes, blueberries or raspberries.