Try this delicious garlic butter roasted chicken, with the meat so tender and juicy that it leaves your mouth watering. Due to the flavoured butter we fill under the skin, the chicken meat will acquire a unique aroma and will not dry out.
Table of Contents
I like to cook chicken and often make roasted chicken, either whole chicken or thighs, as in roasted chicken legs in the oven. I’ve made butter-roasted chicken before, but I did it as it appears in most recipes: grease the chicken with butter on the outside and the skin.
Now I will make the recipe a little different. I will first flavour the butter with garlic, lemon peel and some greens, and then I will grease the chicken under the skin. Ever since I tried this option, it’s like that’s the only way I like to cook a whole chicken.
I will cook for four people, so I bought a 1,800 kg (4 lb) chicken, but it is essential to be free range because the taste doesn’t compare to the intensively grown ones.
If you can’t eat all the roasted chicken, it’s no problem because, from the remaining meat, you can make a salad as we did in the best homemade chicken salad recipe.
I will also use a whole packet of unsalted butter, which I will season and flavour with four cloves of garlic and the peel of a lemon.
I will also add half a bunch of chives and parsley, which I will chop beforehand.
How to Make The Garlic Butter Roasted Chicken?
Make the Butter Mix
I thought of preparing the butter, which I put in a bowl, and it must be at room temperature to work more efficiently with it. Grate the peel of a lemon on top, crush the garlic cloves, and put them in a bowl over the butter.
Add the finely chopped parsley and chives and season with a teaspoon of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Mix everything well with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are incorporated, and you get a soft butter paste.
Preparing the Chicken
For it to cook better, I decided to unwrap the chicken, that is, to cut it and remove its spinal cord together with the neck part with a knife or kitchen scissors. Thus open, the chicken will cook evenly, with the bone underneath and the breast and legs on top.
By inserting the handle of a wooden spoon under the chicken skin, I will be able to peel the skin from the meat in the area of the breast and thighs and where I will fill it with the flavoured butter.
Seasoning the Chicken
Because I will grease it with butter under the skin, I will season the chicken outside with a teaspoon of sea salt and freshly ground pepper and massage it well into the skin.
Filling With Butter
With a wooden spoon or with your hand, introduce the whole amount of flavoured butter under the skin, massaging from the outside to reach all sides. If you have a smaller chicken or leftover butter, turn the chicken over and grease it on the inside.
Roasting the Chicken
Choose an oven tray to hold the chicken; grease this with a tablespoon of olive oil and place the chicken in it. Cut in half the lemon you peeled and put it in the pan.
Cover with aluminium foil and place in the preheated oven at 180 C Fan (356 F) for half an hour.
After thirty minutes, remove the foil, baste the chicken with the melted butter from the pan and put it back in the oven at 160 C Fan (320 F) for 45 minutes.
Check the butter-roasted chicken; if it is not copper and crispy, you can put it under the grill for five minutes, but I didn’t need it because it came out perfectly.
This was my delicious garlic butter roasted chicken recipe; believe me, it has a unique smell and aroma, and you must try it too.
Serving the Roasted Chicken
We will serve this tasty butter-roasted chicken with mashed potatoes or potato salad next to a delicious marinated roasted red pepper salad.
I invite you to try and taste this garlic butter roasted chicken because I am sure it will become one of your favourites. If you like chicken, I recommend a few more recipes from our blog, such as:
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo
- Cosori Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Creamy Chicken Soup With Vegetables
- Best Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Easiest Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- Baked Stuffed Whole Chicken Recipe
- Creamy Homemade Chicken Stew Recipe
- Honey and Garlic Chicken Wings Recipe
- Best Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
- Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
- Chicken Breast With Pineapple and Mayonnaise
Garlic Butter Roasted Chicken
- 1 bowl
- 1 glass oven tray
- 1.8 kg whole chicken free range
- 1 tsp seasalt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 250 g butter unsalted
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- ½ bunch chives chopped
- ½ bunch parsley chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 piece lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Put the butter in a bowl, grate the peel of a lemon on top, crush the garlic cloves, and put them in a bowl over the butter.
- Add the finely chopped parsley and chives and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are incorporated, and get a soft butter paste.
- Cut it and remove the chicken spinal cord together with the neck part with a knife or kitchen scissors.
- Insert the handle of a wooden spoon under the chicken skin, and peel it from the meat in the area of the breast and thighs.
- Season the chicken outside with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and massage it well into the skin.
- Fill the whole amount of flavoured butter under the skin, massaging from the outside to reach all sides.
- Grease the oven tray with olive oil and place the chicken in it. Cut in half the lemon you peeled and put it in the pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven at 180 C Fan (356 F) for half an hour.
- Remove the foil, baste the chicken with the melted butter from the pan and put it back in the oven at 160 C Fan (320 F) for 45 minutes.
- Serve this tasty butter roasted chicken with mashed potatoes or potato salad.