Whenever I cook a meat dish like a steak or breaded meat in my kitchen, choosing the side dish is always a dilemma. That’s why today I show you how to make a recipe for fresh green beans in tomato sauce, in Mediterranean style, as a variant of the endless side dish from potatoes, pasta or rice.
I chose to make this recipe because you know that I like simple and quick recipes, but which are also tasty and healthy, but especially to the liking of the family. And green beans, which contain a series of antioxidants, are part of the family’s favourites and you will find them on our blog both in the form of green bean soup or green bean salad with garlic.
This recipe contains only a few ingredients and can be eaten both vegan or vegetarian and in combination with stewed meats. Let me show you what ingredients I used!
Because I will cook for four hungry people, I will use 650 g (1.5 lbs) of fresh green beans and a medium-sized yellow onion. If you don’t have fresh beans, you can also use frozen or canned beans, no problem.
The strong aroma of tomatoes, because it is not their season, I will give it by adding a spoonful of tomato paste that will sweeten the dish a little.
The last ingredient is the tomato sauce from which we need about 200 ml (1/2 can), I will use a sauce flavoured with herbs, with a pleasant Mediterranean taste. If you can’t find something like this, use simple tomato sauce to which you can add a little oregano and some dried basil.
Preparing the Ingredients
Due to the fact that I chose to use fresh green beans, before cooking, I have to prepare the beans, that is to break their ends with those thin threads and break them into smaller pieces because they are too long. If you use frozen green beans or in a jar, there is no need to do this.
I peeled the onion and chopped it finely with a knife, after which I can start cooking.
How to Make the Green Beans in Tomato Sauce?
In a soup pot, boil water, about two litres, in which we add two teaspoons of sea salt. When the water boils, add the green beans, and cook for about 15 minutes until the beans soften, but still remain firm.
After the beans have boiled, pour it into a strainer and let it drain, during which time I take care of the chopped onion that needs to be fried.
In a saucepan, heat two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and put to fry the chopped onion. Cook the onion for about a minute only until it becomes transparent, stirring with a wooden spoon.
I add two tablespoons of water because I want the onion to sauté, not to fry, and season with a teaspoon of sea salt and a tablespoon of tomato paste.
Cook the onion for about two minutes until soft, stirring occasionally, then put the boiled green beans in the saucepan.
Now I add the tomato sauce and season with half a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and a teaspoon of the vegetable mix for soups. If using non-flavoured tomato sauce, now add a teaspoon of oregano and half a teaspoon of dried basil.
Because the sauce seemed a bit thick, I added 100 ml (1/4 can) of hot water and let it simmer for about four to five minutes, just enough to mix the flavours.
Did you see how simple it was? This was my recipe for green beans in tomato sauce ready to be served.
This dish is served as such, hot, as a side dish with meat dishes, fish, or just with a fried egg on top. You will see that it is particularly tasty.
As you can see, green beans in tomato sauce are a good idea for a side dish to meat, but if you want something else, try one of the following recipes:
- Grated Summer Squash Stew Recipe
- Best Sauteed Savoy Cabbage Recipe
- Easy Polenta Recipe
- Best Simple Potato Salad Recipe
- French Fries
Green Bean in Tomato Sauce
- Soup Pot
- 1.5 lbs green beans fresh, 650 g
- 1 piece onion yellow, medium-size
- 1/2 can tomato sauce seasoned with herbs, 200 ml
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp vegetable mix dried
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 2 tbsp water on onion
- 1/4 can water on green beans
For Boiling the Green Bean
- 2 tbsp sea salt on boiling water
- 2 l water boiling
- Prepare the beans, to break their ends with those thin threads and break them into smaller pieces because they are too long. Peel the onion and chop it finely with a knife.
- In a saucepan, heat two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and put to fry the chopped onion. Cook the onion for about a minute only until it becomes transparent, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add two tablespoons of water because we want the onion to sauté, not to fry, and season with sea salt and tomato paste.
- Cook the onion for about two minutes until soft, then put the boiled green beans in the saucepan. Add the tomato sauce and season with freshly ground pepper and vegetable mix for soups. Pour 100 ml (1/4 can) of hot water and let it simmer for about four to five minutes
- This dish is served as such, hot, as a side dish with meat dishes, fish, or just with a fried egg on top.
If you use plain tomato sauce, you can season in addition with oregano and basil.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hi, I am Timea and together with my husband Laci we decided to invite you to our virtual kitchen, see how to cook and how tasty the Transylvanian cuisine is.Learn more