Coleslaw is a classic side dish that always stays in style. Our quick and easy homemade coleslaw recipe is perfect for enjoying this tasty treat at home. This side dish will surely be a hit at any gathering or potluck with its creamy dressing, crispy cabbage, and refreshing crunch.
Coleslaw is a salad that everyone loves and is very easy to make.
Table of Contents
You can find the coleslaw recipe in many variants, but the common ingredient is cabbage, which is fresh cabbage. I will make a simple version of coleslaw; next to the cabbage, I will use only carrots and a homemade mayonnaise dressing.
As you can see, I will use half a round cabbage of about 750 g, enough for 6-8 servings, which I will cut into very thin strips. I will mix the cabbage with a carrot that I will grate.
I will make homemade mayonnaise from two egg yolks, a tablespoon of French mustard and about 100 ml sunflower oil. From this mayonnaise, I will make a dressing with two tablespoons of Greek yoghurt and the juice of half a lemon.
I say we can get to work and prepare the ingredients!
Preparing the Ingredients
I will start with half a cabbage, which I will cut once more in two and with a sharp knife, I will slice it as thin as possible.
If we’re done, put the sliced cabbage in a giant bowl. Peel the carrot and grate it. I’d instead grate it and then cut it into thin strips.
Put the grated carrot in a bowl with the cabbage, season with a tablespoon of sea salt and mix lightly by hand. Let them sit for about five minutes until the salt softens them, and they will lose volume.
How to Make the Coleslaw Dressing?
As I said, I’ll make this mayonnaise dressing that I’ll thin out with Greek yoghurt and lemon juice. There is an even faster way to make the dressing in which you use commercial mayonnaise, but it is advisable to use high-quality mayonnaise.
I will make homemade mayonnaise today because I want to control the taste of the dressing fully. For this, I will put two egg yolks and a tablespoon of mustard in a mixing jar, and I will slowly pour about 100 ml of sunflower oil.
To make the mayonnaise faster, I will use a hand blender so that the mayonnaise is ready in two minutes. Put the mayonnaise in a bowl, and add two tablespoons of Greek yoghurt, the juice of half a lemon, a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and a teaspoon of sugar to balance the taste.
As you can see, we did not add sea salt because we salted the cabbage generously, and we will taste it at the end; if necessary, we can add more salt.
How to Make the Quick and Easy Homemade Coleslaw Recipe?
We have the mixed cabbage and carrot mix and the homemade dressing ready; all we have to do is combine them. We pour the dressing over the cabbage and mix them lightly.
I added a teaspoon of dried thyme, one of my favourite flavours, and we tasted it; if we needed more salt and were ready, we could put it in the fridge for 15 minutes to mix all the aromas.
That was my quick and easy homemade coleslaw recipe, ready to serve.
Frequently Ask Questions
What is a traditional coleslaw recipe made of?
Traditional coleslaw typically consists of shredded or chopped cabbage, carrots, and mayonnaise dressing. Some variations may include additional ingredients such as vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and celery seed for added flavour.
What is the creamy coleslaw recipe made of?
Creamy coleslaw is a variation of a traditional coleslaw, including a creamy dressing made from mayonnaise, sour cream, or yoghurt. The other ingredients are generally the same as traditional coleslaw, which includes shredded or chopped cabbage and carrots.
Can you use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar in the coleslaw recipe?
Yes, you can use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar in coleslaw. Many people prefer apple cider vinegar’s slightly sweeter and milder taste in their coleslaw. Just remember that apple cider vinegar may add a slight pinkish tint to your coleslaw, which is normal and doesn’t affect the taste.
Coleslaw can be served in various ways, depending on personal preference and the occasion. Here are some common ways to serve coleslaw:
- As a side dish: Coleslaw is a classic dish that pairs well with various main courses, such as grilled meats, sandwiches, or barbecue.
- Topping for burgers and hot dogs: Coleslaw can be a delicious topping for burgers and hot dogs, adding a crunchy texture and refreshing taste.
- In a sandwich or wrap: Coleslaw can be used as a filling or topping for sandwiches and wraps, adding a refreshing crunch to the meal.
- In a salad: Coleslaw can be used as a base for a salad, adding crunch and texture to a bed of greens.
- In a taco or burrito: Coleslaw can be used as a topping for tacos or burritos, adding a refreshing crunch and complementing the flavours of the other ingredients.
When serving coleslaw, it’s essential to keep it chilled until ready to serve to ensure it stays fresh and crunchy. Coleslaw can also be garnished with herbs, spices, or toppings to add flavour and texture.
I recommend you try this quick and easy homemade coleslaw recipe because it is delicious, like the other salad recipes on our blog, such as:
- Best Simple Potato Salad Recipe
- Tomatoes Caprese Salad Recipe
- Tomato Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
- The Best Greek Salad Recipe
- Green Bean Salad With Garlic Cream
- Sweet and Sour Butterhead Salad
- Avocado and Mango Salad
- Tuna Corn Salad Recipe
- Mediterranean Cabbage Salad Recipe
Quick and Easy Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
- 1 grater
- 1 mixing bowl
- 750 g round cabbage fresh
- 1 piece carrot
- 2 pieces egg yolks
- 1 tbsp french mustard
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt kosher
- ½ piece lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp savory dried
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt full fat
- Cut the cabbage in quarter and with a sharp knife, slice it as thin as possible. Put the sliced cabbage in a larger bowl.
- Peel the carrot and grate it. Put the grated carrot in a bowl with the cabbage, season with a tablespoon of sea salt and mix lightly by hand. Let them sit for about five minutes.
- Put in a mixing jar the egg yolks, the mustard and slowly pour about 100 ml of sunflower oil. From mixing use a hand blender so that in two minutes the mayonnaise is ready.
- Put the mayonnaise in a bowl, add the Greek yoghurt, the juice of half a lemon, fresly ground pepper and a teaspoon of sugar to balance the tastes.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and mix them lightly. Add a teaspoon of dried thyme and put it in the fridge for 15 minutes.