If you have a great steak or a piece of grilled meat, all you have to do is a quick and easy homemade coleslaw recipe, which is an ideal side dish near then. Coleslaw is a salad much loved by everyone and is very easy to make.
Table of Contents
- Preparing the Ingredients
- How to Make the Coleslaw Dressing?
- How to Make the Quick and Easy Homemade Coleslaw Recipe?
You can find the coleslaw recipe in many variants, but the common ingredient is cabbage, which in our case is fresh cabbage. I will make the simple version of coleslaw, next to the cabbage I will use only carrots and a homemade mayonnaise dressing.
As you can see, I will use half a round cabbage of about 750 g, enough for 6-8 servings, which I will cut into very thin strips. I will mix the cabbage with a carrot that I will grate.
I will make homemade mayonnaise from two egg yolks, a tablespoon of French mustard and about 100 ml of sunflower oil. From this mayonnaise, I will make a dressing together with two tablespoons of Greek yoghurt and the juice of half a lemon.
I say we can get to work, and prepare the ingredients!
Preparing the Ingredients
I will start with half a cabbage, which I will cut once more in two and with a sharp knife I will slice it as thin as possible.
If we’re done, put the sliced cabbage in a larger bowl. Peel the carrot and grate it. I’d rather grate it than cut it into thin strips.
Put the grated carrot in a bowl with the cabbage, season with a tablespoon of sea salt and mix lightly by hand. Let them sit for about five minutes until the salt will soften them and they will lose volume.
How to Make the Coleslaw Dressing?
Like I said, I’ll make this mayonnaise dressing that I’ll thin out with Greek yoghurt and lemon juice. There is an even faster way to make the dressing in which you use commercial mayonnaise, but it is advisable to use high-quality mayonnaise.
I will make homemade mayonnaise today because I want to fully control the taste of the dressing. For this I will put in a mixing jar two egg yolks, and a tablespoon of mustard and I will slowly pour about 100 ml of sunflower oil.
To make the mayonnaise faster I will use a hand blender so that in two minutes the mayonnaise is ready. Put the mayonnaise in a bowl, and add two tablespoons of Greek yoghurt, the juice of half a lemon, a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and a teaspoon of sugar to balance the tastes.
As you can see, we did not add sea salt because we salted the cabbage well and we will taste it at the end, and if necessary can add more salt.
How to Make the Quick and Easy Homemade Coleslaw Recipe?
We have the mixed cabbage and carrot mix and we have the homemade dressing ready, all we have to do is combine them. That is, we pour the dressing over the cabbage and mix them lightly.
I added a teaspoon of dried thyme which is one of my favourite flavours, we taste it if we need more salt and ready, we can put it in the fridge for 15 minutes to mix all the aromas.
That was the quick and easy homemade coleslaw recipe, ready to serve.
This salad is served as such or as a side dish with various chicken, pork or beef steaks, both in the oven and on the grill.
I recommend you try this quick and easy homemade coleslaw recipe because it is delicious, like the other salad recipes on our blog such as:
- Best Simple Potato Salad Recipe
- Tomatoes Caprese Salad Recipe
- Tomato Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
- The Best Greek Salad Recipe
- Green Bean Salad With Garlic Cream
Quick and Easy Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
- 750 g round cabbage fresh
- 1 piece carrot
- 2 pieces egg yolks
- 1 tbsp french mustard
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt kosher
- ½ piece lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp savory dried
- 2 tbsp Greek yoghurt full fat
- Cut the cabbage in quarter and with a sharp knife, slice it as thin as possible. Put the sliced cabbage in a larger bowl.
- Peel the carrot and grate it. Put the grated carrot in a bowl with the cabbage, season with a tablespoon of sea salt and mix lightly by hand. Let them sit for about five minutes.
- Put in a mixing jar the egg yolks, the mustard and slowly pour about 100 ml of sunflower oil. From mixing use a hand blender so that in two minutes the mayonnaise is ready.
- Put the mayonnaise in a bowl, add the Greek yoghurt, the juice of half a lemon, fresly ground pepper and a teaspoon of sugar to balance the tastes.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage and mix them lightly. Add a teaspoon of dried thyme and put it in the fridge for 15 minutes.