I chose to cook a very popular recipe in the USA and UK today, but I will do it in my style as I learned in Transylvania. I’ll show you my homemade hash browns recipe, which I will serve with a yoghurt dip; ideal to be served as a breakfast item, but in my country is a perfect appetizer or side dish with meat.
Table of Contents
Although the hash browns recipe was first encountered in the United States, it has many variations worldwide, under different names such as “rösti” in Switzerland or “tócsni” in Hungary. My recipe starts from the Hungarian version, to which I will add small changes, and you will see that it will be delicious.
This recipe, in my version is so simple that it requires only a few ingredients, namely three, potatoes, eggs and wheat flour.
Quantitatively, I can say that for four people, I used 1.2 kg of white potatoes, two large eggs and three tablespoons of wheat flour. Because we will scrape the potatoes, it is preferable to choose larger potatoes to make our work easier.
Along with the potatoes, we will serve a dip for which we need four tablespoons of Greek yoghurt of 10% fat (or sour cream) and a bunch of chives.
How to Make the Homemade Hash Browns Recipe?
Clean and Grate the Potatoes
You will see that the recipe is very simple, and we start with preparing the main ingredient, the potatoes, which we first peel.
We will grate them, I chose to pass them through the small grater so I can squeeze more liquid from them, but it is also possible through the large grater if you want.
After I have scraped them, I squeeze them well with my hands, but you can also use a kitchen towel. The better the potatoes are squeezed, the less flour we need in the recipe.
Add the Rest of the Ingredients
Put the squeezed potatoes in a mixing bowl and sprinkle wheat flour over them and mix with a wooden spoon until the flour has integrated into the potatoes and absorbed the remaining liquid.
We are going to add the two eggs over the potatoes. I added them whole, but if you want, you can first beat them with a whisk and then add them.
Stir again to incorporate eggs and then season with a teaspoon of sea salt, one teaspoon of freshly ground pepper, half a teaspoon of garlic powder and a teaspoon of a vegetable mix for soups.
Stir again and be ready; we can start frying. If you see that the mixture is too wet and liquid is forming, you can add a little more flour, but do not do it too hard.
Frying the Hash Browns
Heat four tablespoons of sunflower oil in a frying pan, but you can also use olive oil or another type of oil. Take a portion of potatoes by hand and flatten them in the palm to a thickness of about 0.5 inches (about 1-1.5 cm) and put them in the pan to fry.
Fry these hash browns until they turn golden, about a minute on medium heat, then turn them and fry them on the other side.
The ideal texture would be crispy on the outside and slightly soft on the inside. If they are fried, take them out in a bowl lined with a paper towel to drain the excess oil, and continue frying until we finish the number of potatoes.
How to Make the Hash Browns Dip?
Many types of sauces can be served with hash browns, and I chose the fastest, Greek yoghurt with chives. In a serving bowl, I will put four tablespoons of Greek yoghurt and a bunch of finely chopped chives.
I seasoned it with half a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and a teaspoon of lemon juice, mixed well with a spoon and made ready to be served. If you want, add crushed garlic or a tablespoon of sweet chilli sauce; it will also be delicious.
This was my homemade hash browns recipe, ready to be served.
Hash browns can be served hot for breakfast or as an appetizer for dinner; with this yoghurt dip and a glass of cold beer, it’s great.
If you tried my homemade hash browns recipe and you liked it, you can find other recipes for breakfast, such as:
- Best Smoked Salmon Cream Cheese Recipe
- Grilled Eggplant Dip Recipe
- Best Creamed Cauliflower Recipe
- Best Scrambled Eggs Recipe With Onion and Bacon
- Chicken Salami Recipe
Homemade Hash Browns Recipe
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1.2 kg potatoes large, white
- 2 pieces eggs large size
- 3 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp vegetable mix dry
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp Greek yoghurt full fat
- 1 tsp thyme chopped
- ½ tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Peel the potatoes and grate them, I chose to pass them through the small grater so that I can squeeze more liquid from them. Squeeze them well with your hands, but you can also use a kitchen towel.
- Put the squeezed potatoes in a mixing bowl and sprinkle wheat flour over them and mix with a wooden spoon until the flour has integrated into the potatoes and absorbed the remaining liquid.
- Add the two eggs over the potatoes and stir again to incorporate the eggs. Season with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic powder and vegetable mix for soups. Mix again and ready, we can start frying.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a frying pan. Take a portion of potatoes by hand and flatten them in the palm to a thickness of about 0.5 inches (about 1-1.5 cm) and put them in the pan to fry.
- Fry these hash browns until they turn golden, about a minute on medium heat, then turn them and fry them on the other side. If they are fried, take them out in a bowl lined with a paper towel to drain the excess oil,
- In a serving bowl, I will put four tablespoons of Greek yoghurt and a bunch of finely chopped chives. Season with half a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and the lemon juice, mix it well with a spoon and ready, it can be served.