I recommend the Greek lemon chicken soup recipe on cooler days, made in my style, as I did at home in Transylvania. For us, but also throughout Romania, this Greek soup (Avgolemono) is trendy and loved. It is present in the menu of all restaurants but with different modifications within the recipe.
Table of Contents
The only significant difference between the original Greek lemon chicken soup and our recipe is that I only use egg yolk and sour cream when thickening the soup. But there are some tricks I will show you along the way.
Starting With Ingredients
Because we use chicken in this recipe, I buy whole chicken. I also recommend using chicken with bones; you get a much tastier soup.
We also need one onion, three carrots, two parsley roots, and a quarter of celery root. In our kitchen, these are the primary vegetables for soups.
We still need a cup of rice, I used long grain rice.
And at the end, we will make a thickening of sour cream, two egg yolks and lemon juice from a lemon.
How to Make the Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
Preparing the Ingredients
For starting, take the chicken and cut it into pieces. For the soup to taste more pleasant, I used all the bones and skin of the chicken in the recipe.
Chop the onion, the carrots and the parsley root cut into small cubes. Anyone who does not want to keep the onion on the plate can leave it whole or cut it in half, then remove it.
The celery root I only cut in two, and one carrot I keep for later.
The preserved carrot I will grate on the small grater.
Boil the Ingredients
Take a soup pot in which put the pieces of chicken and pour about 4 litres of cold water. Add a tablespoon of sea salt, a teaspoon of peppercorns and two bay leaves and bring to a boil over medium heat.
When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a minimum and simmer for about half an hour. With a slotted spoon, take the foam from the top of the soup to be clean and also add the celery root.
After the meat has boiled, remove it to a bowl and let sit aside to cool slightly.
Add the chopped vegetables to the soup until the meat cools and boil on medium heat for about 15 minutes. After 5 minutes, you can put the washed rice in the soup to boil.
Here, some first fry the vegetables in oil, but I chose to put them raw in the soup.
Fry the Grated Carrots
Until the vegetables are boiling, prepare the grated carrot. For this, I heat in a pan four tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, put the carrots and fry them slightly until softened, continuously stirring not to burn.
Cut the Meat Into Pieces
After cooling the boiled chicken pieces, debone them and cut the meat into pieces.
Check the soup, and when the rice is soft and cooked, you can put the meat back in the pot.
You can also add now the fried carrot and simmer for more than five minutes.
Thickening the Soup
For this, mix the two egg yolks with sour cream until you get a creamy paste. You can now incorporate the juice from a lemon into the thickening or put it directly in the soup.
Now follows an essential part of the recipe. You have to thin the thickening by adding hot soup, which will increase the temperature of the thickening. It is crucial to increase the thickening temperature to the soup’s temperature, not to be cheese when you add it to the soup.
I put about 3-4 ladles of hot soup, and then I poured everything into the soup pot, mixing slightly.
Add a tablespoon of minced parsley and with that my Greek lemon chicken soup recipe is ready to serve.
How to Store?
To store Greek lemon chicken soup, follow these steps:
- Let the soup cool completely to room temperature.
- Transfer the soup to an airtight container.
- Refrigerate the soup for up to 3 days.
To reheat the soup, simply place it in a saucepan over medium heat and cook until heated through. You may need to add a little bit of water or chicken broth to the soup if it has thickened too much.
If you want to store the soup for longer, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. To freeze the soup, simply transfer it to an airtight freezer-safe container. When you’re ready to reheat the soup, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat it on the stovetop.
Here are some tips for storing Greek lemon chicken soup:
- Make sure the soup is completely cool before storing it. This will help to prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Use an airtight container to store the soup. This will help to prevent the soup from absorbing flavors from other foods in the refrigerator or freezer.
- If you are freezing the soup, be sure to leave enough headspace in the container for the soup to expand.
- Thaw the soup overnight in the refrigerator before reheating it. This will help to ensure that the soup is heated evenly.
- Do not reheat the soup more than once.
By following these tips, you can safely store and enjoy Greek lemon chicken soup for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
What does avgolemono mean in Greek?
Translated, it means “egg-lemon”, which is the mix of egg yolk, lemon juice and broth used to thicken certain soups and sauces.
Does avgolemono taste like eggy?
The egg yolk, in combination with a lot of lemon juice and warm broth, will give the soup a creamy and light consistency, with a velvety taste.
What does adding lemon to soup do?
In the Mediterranean areas, lemon is used instead of vinegar to give acidity and a little sourness to the dishes.
Serving the Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is a delicious, comforting dish that can be served in a variety of ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve with a side of crusty bread or crackers. This is a classic way to enjoy soup, and it helps to soak up all the delicious broth.
- Garnish with fresh herbs. Chopped parsley, dill, or mint add a bright and refreshing flavor to the soup.
- Add a dollop of yogurt or sour cream. This helps to thicken the soup and adds a bit of creaminess.
- Squeeze a wedge of lemon over the soup before serving. This adds a touch of extra acidity and brightness.
If you liked this Greek lemon chicken soup recipe, I recommend you try other soup recipes like:
- White Bean Soup With Smoked Ribs
- Smoked Sausage Potato Soup
- Romaine Lettuce Soup
- Pork Meatballs Vegetable Soup
- Hungarian Tomato Soup
- Tripe Soup Recipe
- Traditional Hungarian Goulash Recipe
- Best Fish Soup Recipe
- Creamy Kohlrabi Soup Recipe
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe-In Timea’s Kitchen Magic Style
- 1 Soup Pot
- 1 grater
- 1.3 kg whole chicken free range
- 4 pcs carrots
- 2 pcs parsley root
- ¼ pcs celery root
- 1 pcs onion
- 150 g rice long rain
- 2 pcs egg yolks
- 300 ml sour cream
- 1 pcs lemon juice
- 2 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g green peas
- Take a soup pot in which we put the pieces of chicken meat and over which we pour about 4 litres of cold water. Add a tablespoon of sea salt, a teaspoon of peppercorns and two bay leaves and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a minimum and simmer for about half an hour. With a slotted spoon, take the foam produced for the soup to be clean. When the soup starts to boil, you can also add celery roots.
- After the meat has boiled, remove it in a bowl and set aside to cool slightly. Until the chicken pieces cool, add the chopped vegetables to the soup and simmer on medium heat for about 15 minutes. After 5 minutes, put the washed rice in the soup to boil.
- Until the vegetables are boiling, prepare the grated carrot. For this, heat in a pan four tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the grated carrots and fry them slightly until softened, continuously stirring not to burn.
- After the boiled chicken pieces have cooled, you can debone them and cut the meat into pieces. Check the soup, and if the rice is soft and cooked, you can put the chicken back in the pot and the fried carrot and simmer more five minutes.
- Mix the two egg yolks with sour cream until we get a creamy paste. You have to thin the thickening by adding hot soup, which will increase the temperature of the thickening. Put about 3-4 ladles of hot soup, then pour all in the soup, mixing slightly.
- Add a tablespoon of minced parsley and with that my Greek lemon chicken soup recipe is ready to serve.