Dutch oven turkey tenderloin recipe with sautéed onions, served with pasta or mashed potatoes, has always been a favourite of my children, and I cook it very often, even now. It is the simplicity of this recipe, with the delicious slices of meat that melt in your mouth and with the sweet and soft onion pieces, that make it cook so often.
Table of Contents
I didn’t find this recipe in international cuisine cooked in this way, but it appears in several styles in Hungarian cuisine. Of all, this is the simplest and fastest recipe, but that does not make it less tasty; I guarantee you will fall in love with it.
A major difference between this recipe and the others is that I will replace the pork chops, which are found in most recipes, with the turkey one, which is much healthier and contains fewer calories.
As you can see, we only need two ingredients, some turkey loins and yellow onions. For four people, I will use about 1,5 lbs (700 g) of turkey loins, which can be obtained from the turkey breast or shoulder (medallion). As you can see, I beat the slices of meat a little with the meat tenderiser and seasoned them with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
And we need onions, a lot of onions; for this amount of meat, I will use four large onions that I will coarsely slice.
How to Make the Dutch Oven Turkey Tenderloin Recipe?
As I said in the title, we will make the recipe in the cast iron pot so that I will take a Dutch oven to heat 1/4 can (100 ml) of extra virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, fry the slices of meat, and I put them all at once.
Put the lid and fried them for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat, turning them until they got a light, almost white colour; it must not form a crust on top.
Now I will pour about 3/4 cup (300 ml) of hot water, put the lid on and let it simmer for about 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the meat.
While the meat is sautéing, clean the four onions and cut them into not-very thin slices, they will have to be seen on the plate.
The meat is almost ready, so we put the sliced onion in the pot, mix lightly and add more water if needed; I put 3/4 can (300 ml) of hot water.
Season with a tablespoon of marjoram and a teaspoon of sea salt and simmer under the lid for another ten to fifteen minutes until the onion softens.
If the onion has softened, turn off the heat, and that’s it; this was my Dutch oven turkey tenderloin recipe, ready to serve.
I recommend serving this dish with pasta, I chose fresh tagliatelle, but it is just as delicious as mashed potatoes or rice.
If you like my Dutch oven turkey tenderloin recipe and you are a fan of turkey meat, I recommend you try one of our recipes such as:
- Best Turkey Cacciatore Recipe
- Healthy Baked Turkey Cutlets With Vegetable
- Best Leftover Turkey Salad Recipe
- Simple Turkey Fried Rice Recipe
- Best Turkey Tenderloin Recipe
- Oven-Baked Turkey Legs Recipe
- Turkey Lasagna With White Sauce
Dutch Oven Turkey Tenderloin Recipe-With Onions
- 1 Dutch oven pot
- 1.5 lbs turkey loins breast slice or shoulders (medallions)
- 4 pieces onions coarse sliced
- 100 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp marjoram dried
- 3 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 300 ml water hot
- Beat the slices of meat a little with the meat tenderiser and seasoned them with 2 tsp of sea salt and 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper. Clean the four onions and cut them into not very thin slices, they will have to be seen on the plate.
- Take a Dutch oven in which heat 1/4 can (100 ml) of extra virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, fry the slices of meat, (I put them all at once). Put the lid and fried them for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat, turning them, until they got a light almost white colour.
- Pour about 3/4 cup of hot water, put the lid on and let it simmer for about 40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the meat.
- Add the sliced onion to the pot, mix lightly and add more water if needed, I put 3/4 can hot water. Season with marjoram and a teaspoon of sea salt and simmer under the lid for another ten to fifteen minutes, until the onion softens.
- I recommend serving this dish with pasta, I chose fresh tagliatelle, but it is just as delicious with mashed potatoes or rice.