Today we offer you a delicious romaine lettuce soup recipe, as it is done in Transylvania, with scrambled eggs and fried bacon and served with sour cream. I recommend you try this easy and tasty soup recipe, as was always done in our family.
Table of Contents
It is a spring-summer recipe that is made of any lettuce. In our family, the most common is butterhead lettuce. Still, today we will use romaine lettuce because it is widespread here in the UK.
Let’s See the Ingredients
For this recipe, we need two pieces of more giant romaine lettuce or four smaller, enough to get six servings.
Also, we need four large-size free-range eggs, two cloves of garlic, about 200 grams of smoked bacon or pancetta and a bunch of dills.
Preparing the Ingredients
The first time, I opened the lettuce leaves one by one and washed them under running water to remove any sand or soil traces.
After that, cut or break the lettuce leaves into small pieces to make them easier to eat and look better on the plate.
Finely chop the garlic cloves, which we will boil in the soup.
How to Make the Romaine Lettuce Soup Recipe?
Make the Roux
In a soup pot, heat 50 ml of sunflower oil, to which I add three spoons of flour and make a roux.
Let the flour fry a little, constantly stirring until it becomes yellowish.
Then add a spoonful of sweet paprika and a little water to avoid burning paprika and flour.
Simmer for one minute, and the thickening is ready, we can continue to cook the soup.
Add the cut romaine lettuce leaves to the pot, and mix lightly with a wooden spoon to soften the leaves a little.
Pour the water to cover the lettuce well; I put about two litres of water, then add one spoonful of sea salt and the chopped garlic to the pot.
To enrich the flavours of the salad soup, I added two spoons of sugar, half of the chopped dill and 50 ml of white wine vinegar. This can be replaced with lemon juice, but vinegar is more suitable, in my opinion.
Let’s boil for about 20 minutes on medium heat; I want, and it’s tasty if the lettuce is not hard-boiled; it’s a bit crispy.
Make the Omelette
Until the soup boils, we start to fry the eggs because, in Transylvania, the lettuce soup is made with an omelette and is delicious. First, I fry the sliced and chopped bacon in a pan.
Fry for 3-4 minutes until the bacon turns golden and slightly crispy.
Until the bacon fries, crack the four eggs into a bowl and lightly beat them. Season with salt and pepper and mix well (I used the fork) until homogenised.
Pour the beaten eggs over the fried bacon.
Roast the eggs until they become an omelette.
Finishing the soup
When the soup is almost ready, add the omelette with smoked bacon that you cut into pieces with a spoon. Season with one tablespoon of sea salt and one teaspoon of dried vegetable mix.
In the end, add the remaining chopped dill, boil for two minutes, and the soup is ready; this was the romaine lettuce recipe in Timea’s Kitchen style.
Serving the Soup
This soup can be served both warm and cold with sour cream next to chilli or polenta.
If you are tried this easy and tasty romaine lettuce soup recipe, and you liked it, on our blog, you will find other delicious soup recipes like:
- cabbage soup with pork meat
- best fish soup recipe
- Hungarian green bean soup recipe
- tripe soup recipe
- best mushroom soup recipe
- Hungarian tomato soup
- traditional Hungarian goulash recipe
- Greek lemon chicken soup recipe
- creamy kohlrabi soup recipe
Romaine Lettuce Soup Recipe
- 1 Soup Pot
- 2 pieces romaine lettuce large or butterhead lettuce
- 200 g smoked bacon or pancetta
- 4 pieces eggs free range
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp vegetable mix for soups
- 1 tbsp
- 3 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 bunch dill chopped
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 50 ml vinegar white
- 1.Break the lettuce leaves, wash them well and cut them. Chop the garlic and the dill.
- 2.Heat the sunflower oil in the soup pot, and add the wheat flour to frying, seasoning with salt and pepper and stir until it gets a yellowish colour.
- 3.Add the sweet paprika and a little water.
- 4.After one minute put the lettuce over the thickener in the pot.
- 5.Addthe sliced garlic and two litter of the water. Boil about 20 minutes
- 6.Until the soup boils, put the bacon in a frying pan. After the bacon fried and became a bit crispy, we poured eggs over and made an omelette.
- 7.Slice the omelette and put it in the soup together with the chopped dill.
- 8.Served hot or warm with soured cream or yoghurt.