Today we offer you a delicious romaine lettuce soup recipe, as it is done in Transylvania, with scrambled eggs and fried bacon, and served with sour cream. I recommend you to try this easy and tasty soup recipe, as was always done in our family.
It is a spring-summer recipe that is made of any kind lettuce. In our family, the most common is butter lettuce but today we will use romaine lettuce because it is very common here in the UK.
Let’s See the Ingredients
For this recipe, we need two pieces of bigger romaine lettuce, enough to get six servings.
Also, we need four large size free range eggs, two cloves of garlic, about 200 grams of smoked bacon or pancetta and a bunch of dill.
Preparing the Ingredients
First, we break the lettuce leaves and wash them one by one, to get rid of any traces of sand or soil in the lettuce.
After that cut or broke the lettuce leaves into not too small pieces, to make it easier to eat and looks better on the plate.
Finely chop the two cloves of garlic, which we will boil in the soup.
How to Make the Romaine Lettuce Soup Recipe?
In a soup pot, we heat 50 ml of sunflower oil in which we put 3 tablespoons of wheat flour, with which we will make a thickening.
Let the flour fry a little, stirring constantly until it gets a yellowish colour. Season with one teaspoon of sea salt and one teaspoon of freshly ground pepper.
Then add a spoonful of sweet paprika and a little water to avoid burning paprika and flour.
Simmer one minute and the thickening is ready, we can continue to cook the soup.
Add the cut romaine lettuce leaves in the pot, and mix lightly with a wooden spoon, to soften the leaves a little.
Pour the water to cover the lettuce well, I put about two litters of water, then add the chopped garlic in the pot.
Let’s boil about 20 minutes on medium heat, I want and it’s tasty if the lettuce is not hard boiled, it’s a bit crispy.
Until the soup boils, we start to fry the eggs, because in Transylvania the lettuce soup is made with omelette and it is particularly tasty. First, I put the sliced and chopped bacon in a pan to fry.
Fry for 3-4 minutes until the bacon turns golden and slightly crispy.
Until the bacon fries, crack the four eggs into a bowl and slightly beat then. Season with salt and pepper and mix well (I used the fork) until homogenised.
Pour the beaten eggs over the fried bacon.
Roast the eggs until they become an omelette.
Finishing the soup
When the soup is almost ready, add the omelette with the fried bacon, cut into bigger pieces.
At the end we add the chopped dill, boil for two minutes, and the soup is ready, this was the romaine lettuce soup recipe, in Timea’s Kitchen style.
Serving the Soup
This soup can be served both warm and cold with sour cream, next to chilli or polenta.
If you are tried this easy and tasty romaine lettuce soup recipe and you liked it, on our blog you will find another delicious recipe like cabbage soup with pork meat.
Romaine Lettuce Soup Recipe
- 2 PCs romaine lettuce or other lettuce
- 200 g smoked bacon or pancetta
- 4 PCs eggs free range
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 teaspoon sea salt kosher
- 3 teaspoon ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp
- 3 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 bunch dill chopped
- 50 ml sunflower oil
- 1.Break the lettuce leaves, wash them well and cut them. Chop the garlic and the dill.
- 2.Heat the sunflower oil in the soup pot, and add the wheat flour to frying, seasoning with salt and pepper and stir until it gets a yellowish colour. 3.Add the sweet paprika and a little water.4.After one minute put the lettuce over the thickener in the pot.5.Addthe sliced garlic and two litter of the water. Boil about 20 minutes
- 6.Until the soup boils, put the bacon in a frying pan. After the bacon fried and became a bit crispy, we poured eggs over and made an omelette. 7.Slice the omelette and put it in the soup together with the chopped dill.
- 8.Served hot or warm with soured cream or yoghurt.
Hi, I am Timea and together with my husband Laci we decided to invite you to our virtual kitchen, see how to cook and how tasty the Transylvanian cuisine is.Learn more