The turkey cabbage stew recipe with smoked bacon and tomato passata Inspired by a Hungarian recipe, it is perfect for a family dinner or lunch and will delight you with its taste and consistency. It is a filling but at the same time healthy food that you will taste once, you will surely put it on the list of favourite recipes.
This recipe is very similar to the beef and cabbage stew recipe. I changed the ingredients a little, replaced the beef with the turkey one, and simplified the cooking process a little, resulting in a much faster dish and with a special taste.
Let’s See the Ingredients
As I said, today I will use turkey meat in the turkey cabbage stew recipe, and that’s because as you know I’m a turkey fan and because you have meat with less fat and which cooks quite quickly. You need 750 g (1.6 lbs) of turkey breast fillets from which you will get 5-6 servings of stew, but you can also use boneless turkey thighs, there is no problem.
You also need a cabbage, I used an 800 g (1.8 lbs) one, but you can put two smaller ones, but be fresh round white cabbage or sweetheart as I have.
I will use a medium-sized onion, half a sweet red pepper, 1/2 cup of tomato passata and because I want to improve the flavours I will add 100 g of smoked bacon, it will be delicious.
How to Prepare the Ingredients?
I guess you already know that I prefer to prepare all the ingredients first and then I start cooking and that’s what I recommend you to do. You can start cooking the first ingredients while you prepare the next ones, but there is a possibility that you should not pay attention to the cooking and burn the dish or overcook it.
I start with the meat that you cut into thicker slices first and then cut it into not too small cubes. After you have finished them, place the meat aside on a plate or bowl.
Next comes the onion, which after I cleaned it I chopped finely, it is good to chop it like this because it cooks faster and its texture will not be felt in the final product.
The bacon I have is already sliced so I will have to cut it into pieces, this time not very small because I do not want to melt too quickly and become crispy.
I am also preparing the cabbage that I have to slice, I chose to cut it with a knife because this way I will get a little longer slices, but you can use an electric slicer if you have one or a cabbage mandolin slicer.
After you have sliced all the cabbage, put it aside in a bowl until you use it. I cut half of the sweet red pepper into strips and then into small cubes.
To be with all the ingredients ready, I will finely chop a bunch of dills because you must use fresh dill, it’s much tastier.
How to Make the Turkey Cabbage Stew Recipe?
As with most stew recipes, we start by heating 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a pot, I chose my cast iron pot and in which I put the chopped onion to fry over medium heat.
I seasoned with half a teaspoon of sea salt and after a minute I add the smoked bacon and let it simmer for another minute or two. The smoked bacon will melt a little and will give flavour to this preparation.
Add the diced half bell pepper and a teaspoon of sweet pepper paste, not missing from the Hungarian cuisine.
After another minute, follow the turkey meat cut into cubes and fry for about two minutes, stirring, until it changes colour a little.
Season with half a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper, half a teaspoon of ground caraway seeds, two teaspoons of paprika, a tablespoon of tomato paste and half a cup of tomato passata.
Mix everything and let it boil for two or three minutes to mix the flavours well, then add two cups of hot water and simmer for about fifteen minutes.
The meat is already starting to soften and the smells and aromas of stew can be felt throughout the kitchen.
Now I add the sliced cabbage over the stew, don’t be afraid if it barely fits in the pot, it will be left in what it removes from the water content and it will soften.
Season with a teaspoon of the vegetable mix for soups, half a teaspoon of dried savory, a tablespoon of sugar without the need to add water because the cabbage will remove from its liquid and that’s enough.
Just add the chopped dill and simmer for another forty minutes, until the water drops and the cabbage cooks.
That’s it, this was my turkey cabbage stew recipe that I can’t wait to serve, welcome to dinner to show you how we serve her.
How to Serve this Dish?
It is served hot, with fresh bread and we add a tablespoon of sour cream on top, to be even creamier and tastier. If you like, you can add a little chopped chilli and a glass of cold beer.
If you liked my turkey cabbage stew recipe and generally like to cook cabbage dishes, let me recommend some from our blog:
- Mediterranean Cabbage Salad Recipe
- Best Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Vegan Cabbage and Pasta Recipe
- Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Delicious Cabbage Casserole Recipe
- Cabbage Soup With Pork Meat
- Best Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Turkey Cabbage Stew Recipe
- cabbage mandolin slicer
- cast iron pot
- 750 g turkey breast filet or turkey thighs
- 100 g smoked bacon
- 800 g white cabbage or green cabbage
- 1 piece onion medium size
- ½ piece red bell pepper or other sweet pepper
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1+1/2 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp sweet paprika paste Edes Anna
- ½ tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup tomato passata
- 2 tsp paprika Hungarian sweet
- ½ tsp caraway powder
- ½ tsp dried savory
- 1 tsp vegetable mix for soups Delikat, Vegeta
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 cup water warm
- Cut the turkey filet into cubes, chop the onion and the pepper, slice the cabbage and cut the bacon into pieces.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a pot and put the chopped onion to fry over medium heat. Season with sea salt and after a minute add the smoked bacon and let it simmer for another minute or two.
- Add the diced half bell pepper and the sweet pepper paste, stir and after another minute add the meat cut into cubes and fry for about two minutes, stirring, until it changes colour a little.
- Season with freshly ground pepper, ground caraway seeds, sweet paprika, tomato paste and tomato passata.
- Mix everything and let it boil for two or three minutes to mix the flavours well, then add two cups of hot water and simmer for about fifteen minutes.
- Add the sliced cabbage, season with the vegetable mix for soups, dried savory, sugar, chopped dill and simmer for another forty minutes, until the water drops and the cabbage cooks.
- It is served hot, with fresh bread and a tablespoon of sour cream on top, chilli and a glass of cold beer.