Today I will show you how to cook homemade french fries, one of the most popular side dishes or which can be consumed as such. Of course, the handiest option is to buy frozen, precooked potato french fries from the store. This we only fry directly into the oil. I use this option when I do not want to waste much cooking time.
Table of Contents
- What potatoes do we use from french fries?
- Preparing Potatoes for French Fries
- Frying Potatoes
What potatoes do we use from french fries?
The best potatoes that are suitable for french fries are those with high starch content. No matter what kind of potatoes you buy (King Edward, Russett, Maris Piper …..). It’s important to be white or brown potatoes and bigger.
Preparing Potatoes for French Fries
Clean the peeled potatoes, then cut off some thicker sticks.
If they are cut too thin, they will be crisp in their entirety. But if they are cut thicker, they will be crisp just outside and inside will be soft and fluffy.
Wash the cut potatoes well, under a stream of cold water.
Drain the potatoes and wipe them well with a kitchen towel.
In a deeper bowl or in the fryer, put the oil to warm to medium or 180 degrees and wait until the oil gets hot.
If we put the potatoes too fast before the oil gets stuck. They will not be fried instantly and will start to absorb the oil. And if we put the temperature too high, the potatoes will quickly fry outside and inside will remain cruel.
After frying them for 3-5 minutes, increase the temperature to 240 degrees Celsius and continue frying for 2 minutes until golden.
We take them out in a bowl, season them with salt and let them cool a little.
I recommend that you do not cover the potato pots until they have cooled slightly. Otherwise, they will soften from the steam and will not remain crisp on the outside.
Serve as hot as a side dish next to pork steaks, or as such with different sauces (mayonnaise, sweet-spicy sauce, garlic sauce, …).
I used the following figures:
- potatoes 3-4 / persons
- 500 ml sunflower oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
The most important recommendations for perfect fries are:
- potatoes should be thoroughly dried before roasting
- the oil is very hot before you put the potatoes
- o not cover potatoes as they are hot.
A breakfast idea: in a frying pan with a little oil put a serving of fries, pour over two eggs battered and seasoned with salt and pepper, and then scrambling on them a little cheddar cheese.
French Fries-Deep Fried Potatoes Recipe
- 8 pieces potatoes medium size
- 500 ml sunflower oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Clean the peeled potatoes, then cut off some thicker sticks. Then wash the potatoes in cold water several times until the water is clear.
- After washing the potatoes, I put them in a kitchen towel or paper towel and I wipe them off when the potatoes are perfectly dried.
- In a deeper bowl or in the fryer, put the oil to warm to medium or 180 degrees and wait until the oil gets hot.
- Potato roasting is done in two stages, the first will be at the average temperature of about 3-5 minutes, during which the potatoes will be made fluffy inside, then we increase the temperature to a maximum of 240 degrees and fry for about 2 minutes, until what the potatoes will be golden and crisp outside.
- Now we can remove the potatoes in a pot in which we put a tissue paper to absorb excess oil and season with sea salt, which, besides tasting potatoes, will also absorb the oil from the potato.