I will share a mouth-watering air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe that’s easy to make and super tasty. If you’re a fan of crispy and flavorful chicken, you’re in for a treat.
Table of Contents
For several reasons, air fryer chicken drumsticks have become a popular dish in many households:
- They are a healthier alternative to traditional fried chicken; using an air fryer for frying, the chicken is cooked with little to no oil, resulting in a crispy outer layer without the excess grease.
- They are easy to prepare and cook, making them an excellent option for busy weeknights or those with limited cooking experience.
- Air fryers are compact and only take up a little space in the kitchen.
- They taste so delicious. The high heat of the air fryer ensures that the chicken is cooked through evenly, resulting in juicy and flavorful meat.
- Are a budget-friendly meal option. Chicken drumsticks are often more affordable than other cuts of meat, and the minimal oil required means you can save money on cooking oil in the long run.
In summary, we love air fryer chicken drumsticks for their health benefits, convenience, taste, and affordability. They are a delicious and easy meal option that the whole family can enjoy.
Depending on the style of serving these delicious chicken drumsticks, with or without garnish, I will get two or three portions from the six drumsticks I will fry.
Besides the chicken drumsticks, you only need spices, which depend on everyone’s imagination and tastes. Let me show you what I used: a teaspoon of sea salt, freshly ground pepper, paprika, dried thyme, ground coriander, half a teaspoon of turmeric and two tablespoons of olive oil.
Depending on your preference, you can also use many different spices and seasonings for air fryer chicken drumsticks. Here are some common spices and blends that work well:
- Garlic powder: adds a savoury, umami flavour to the chicken
- Onion powder: adds a subtle sweetness and depth of flavour to the chicken.
- Italian seasoning: a blend of herbs such as oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary that adds a savoury and aromatic flavour
- Cajun seasoning: a spicy blend of herbs and spices such as paprika, cayenne pepper, and garlic that adds a kick of heat to the chicken
- Lemon pepper seasoning: a blend of lemon zest and black pepper that adds a bright, citrusy flavour to the chicken
- Barbecue seasoning: a sweet and smoky blend of spices such as smoked paprika, brown sugar, and chilli powder that adds a barbecue-like flavour to the chicken
These are just a few examples of the many spices and seasonings you can use for air fryer chicken drumsticks. Experiment with different blends to find your favourite flavour combination.
How to Make the Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks?
Season the Drumsticks
As I said, the recipe is straightforward because I only have to season the chicken drumsticks first and then fry them. Put the drumsticks, wiped well, so they are not wet, in a bowl and add all the spices and olive oil on top of them.
Massage them well with your hands so that all the spices are distributed evenly and penetrate the skin of the drumsticks, and the olive oil helps to stick to them.
Fry One Side
In this recipe, I did not preheat the air fryer, and I only placed the chicken drumsticks in the basket and sprayed them with olive oil. If possible, arrange the legs so that they are not stuck to each other so that the air can circulate more easily around them. Doing them in two rounds is better if you want to fry more.
Set the air fryer to a temperature of 195 C (383 F) for 25 minutes, enough for the legs to be perfectly done. My Cosori air fryer has this pre-set temperature for chicken meat.
Halfway through the time (about 12 minutes), remove the basket and turn the drumsticks to the other side. You don’t have to spray with oil anymore; continue frying them until the end of the 25 minutes.
Here’s how beautifully made the chicken legs are. If they are not crispy enough, you can fry them for another three to four minutes at maximum temperature. But for me, they are perfect as they are.
Take them out on a plate or bowl and let them rest for about 4-5 minutes; they will become soft and juicy.
And that’s it; this was my air fryer chicken drumsticks recipe, perfect for dinner, healthy and especially tasty. Try it, and you won’t regret it!
How long do drumsticks take in the air fryer?
Usually, the cooking time differs slightly from one air fryer to another; from my experience with the Cosori air fryer, it is around 25 minutes at 195 C (383 F).
Should you put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Of course, most of the air fryer chicken drumsticks recipes are from raw chicken.
Why is chicken not crispy in an air fryer?
In most cases, it happens when the skin of the chicken contains a lot of moisture. If it is not dry, steam will form, cooking and not becoming crispy.
Serving the Dish
To complement and enhance their flavour, many delicious sauces you can serve with air fryer chicken drumsticks. Here are some options:
- Barbecue sauce: a classic sauce that pairs well with the smoky and savoury flavours of air fryer chicken drumsticks
- Honey mustard sauce: a sweet and tangy sauce that adds a bright and refreshing flavour to the chicken
- Buffalo sauce: a spicy and tangy sauce that adds a kick of heat to the chicken
- Ranch dressing: a creamy and tangy dressing that pairs well with the savoury flavours of the chicken
- Teriyaki sauce: a sweet and savoury sauce that adds an Asian-inspired flavour to the chicken
- Chimichurri sauce: a herbaceous and tangy sauce made with parsley, garlic, and vinegar that adds a fresh and zesty flavour to the chicken
These sauces can be served on the side for dipping or drizzled over the chicken drumsticks before serving. Experiment with different spices to find your favourite flavour combination.
You can also serve the drumsticks with side dishes like fried or mashed potatoes, rice pilaf or fried vegetables.
If you are interested in other delicious recipes made with the air fryer, I also recommend the following:
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Duck Legs
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Doughnuts From Scratch
- Pork Steak in an Air Fryer
- Ribeye Steak in Air fryer
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep updated with our new recipes and where you can like and share your favourites. You can pin your recipe collection on Pinterest and follow us live on our new YouTube channel.
Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 bowl
- 6 pieces chicken drumsticks free range
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp paprika Hungarian sweet
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra-virgine
- Put the well-wiped chicken drumsticks in a bowl and add all the spices and olive oil on top of them.
- Massage them well with your hands so that all the spices are distributed evenly and penetrate the skin.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in the basket and spray them with olive oil.
- Set the air fryer to a temperature of 195 C (383 F) and fry for 25 minutes.
- Halfway through the time, turn the drumsticks to the other side and continue frying them until the end of the 25 minutes.
- Take them out on a plate or bowl and rest for 4-5 minutes.
- You can serve the drumsticks with side dishes like fried or mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, fried vegetables, or different sauces.