A dish I remember as a child and my children’s favourite is the quick creamed spinach recipe, with milk and bread crumbs and served with a fried egg. If your children do not want to eat spinach, I urge you to cook this recipe, and you will see that it will have an effect; they will love it.
Table of Contents
As you know, spinach is a very healthy plant, full of nutrients, so it is advisable to cook it and eat it as often as possible. It can be eaten in the cooked version, in different fillings, in the form of mash as we will do today, or raw in salads such as the easy cold pasta salad recipe.
Just a Few Ingredients
I used 450 g of fresh spinach for two people, but the same can be done with frozen spinach, no problem; it will be just as delicious.
We still need milk, and I used about a cup; the amount may differ depending on how soft or dense we want the mash to be.
I like to put a little garlic in the dish, but not much, just two cloves of garlic for the flavour; it’s enough.
Another ingredient that I will use is the breadcrumbs, about 100 g. In the past, I used soaked bread to give consistency to the recipe, but more recently, I chose the breadcrumbs because it seems much easier and faster.
Preparing the Ingredients
We don’t have much to do at this stage; if the spinach is not washed, we put it in a strainer, wash it under a stream of cold water, and let it drain.
I finely chopped the garlic cloves, or whoever wants can pass them through a garlic press.
How to Make the Quick Creamed Spinach Recipe?
Soteing the Garlic
As I said, it is a simple and quick recipe that anyone can make. I start with the garlic, which I chopped finely. I heat 100 ml of sunflower oil in a saucepan to fry the garlic.
Add the Spinach
Stir and be careful not to burn; we want to flavour the oil. Fry for a minute, then add the spinach gradually because it doesn’t fit all at once.
If the spinach has softened and we put it in the pot, add the milk (I only put 100 ml the first time) and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
Mash It Up
Using a hand blender, I mixed the spinach leaves until I got a paste, but not very fine because I like the spinach pieces to feel a little.
I did this because the children eat easier, but some left the leaves whole because that’s how they like it.
Finishing the Cream
I add the breadcrumbs, mix with a wooden spoon and let it simmer for another five minutes. If you use bread soaked in milk, put the bread first and mix them with the spinach.
Now gradually add the rest of the milk, depending on how the breadcrumbs absorb the liquid and how thick you want the mash to be. Season with a teaspoon of sea salt, a tablespoon of sugar, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a tablespoon of a vegetable mix for soups.
And that’s enough; that’s the quick creamed spinach recipe, ready to serve.
How to Store It?
To store spinach mash, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it promptly. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
When reheating, add a splash of milk or cream to the spinach mash and stir it well. Heat it in a saucepan over medium heat, occasionally stirring until heated.
If you have leftovers that you won’t be able to use within 3-4 days, you can freeze the spinach mash for more extended storage. Transfer it to a freezer-safe container or a zip-top bag and freeze it for 2-3 months. To thaw, move the container to the refrigerator and let it defrost overnight. Then, reheat as described above.
How to Serve the Spinach Mash?
Creamy spinach mash can be served as a side dish to complement many main courses, such as roasted chicken, grilled fish, or steak. Here’s how you can do it:
- Scoop the creamy spinach mash onto a serving dish or individual plates.
- You can sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese or chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or chives over the top for extra flavour and presentation.
- Serve hot and enjoy as a delicious and nutritious side dish.
Alternatively, you can use creamy spinach mash as a base for other dishes, such as a bed for poached or fried eggs or a topping for baked potatoes. It is versatile and can be used in many different ways, so feel free to experiment and enjoy!
Quick Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 1 larger saucepan
- 450 g fresh spinach or frozen spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 100 g breadcrumbs or soaked bread slices
- 250 ml milk
- 100 ml sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt kosher
- 1 tbsp sugar granulated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable mix
- If the spinach is not washed, we put it in a sieve and wash it under a stream of cold water and let it drain. Finely chop the garlic cloves or whoever wants can pass them through a garlic press.
- In a saucepan, I heat the sunflower oil in which I put to fry the garlic. Fry for just a minute, then add the spinach, gradually, because it doesn’t fit all at once. Add the milk (I only put 100 ml the first time) and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, I mixed the spinach leaves until I got a paste. I add the breadcrumbs, I mixed with a wooden spoon and let it simmer for another five minutes.
- Now gradually add the rest of the milk, depending on how the breadcrumbs absorb the liquid and how thick you want the mash to be. Season with sea salt, sugar, lemon juice and vegetable mix for soups.
- I recommend serving hot with fried eggs, which is the most common option in our area.