Here’s how to make the healthy homemade chicken salami recipe from natural ingredients and without preservatives; ideal for sandwiches or appetizers. It’s not a very complicated recipe, but with a little effort, you’ll get a dish you’ll be proud to have prepared.
Table of Contents
This chicken salami, also called bologna sausage, has several variants and can be prepared from different ingredients. Those who want can try versions with turkey or pork meat, but making them without taste enhancers or artificial colourings is essential.
The primary ingredient in the salami recipe is chicken breast, and I will use a 500 g (1,1 lb) piece of bone-in breast.
I will first boil the chicken breast with a bay leaf, a tablespoon and a half of dried vegetable mix for soups, a teaspoon of peppercorns and one teaspoon of garlic granules (or garlic powder).
After I have boiled the meat, I will make a paste from it and add the following ingredients:
- 1 tsp sea salt;
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg;
- 1 tsp sweet Hungarian paprika (probably the smoked one would work just as well);
- 1 tsp onion powder;
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules;
- 2 sachets of gelatine;
- 50 ml of chicken stock (from the liquid in which the chicken breast was boiled)
- 2 tbsp of beetroot juice
How to Make the Homemade Chicken Salami?
The chicken salami recipe has two stages, the first in which, I will boil the meat, and then I will mix all the ingredients until I get a paste that will be poured into a mould and kept cold for a few hours until it hardens.
Boil the Meat
In a soup pot, put the chicken breast together with the vegetable mix, the peppercorns and the bay leaf, pour cold water to cover the meat well and cook it on medium heat for 30 minutes.
Make the Salami
Preparing the Meat
After boiling the meat, take it out on a plate and let it cool down to work with it.
Bone the meat and cut it into not very small pieces because you will mince it anyway.
Make the Salami Paste
Put the pieces of meat in an electric food chopper, together with the dry spices (sea salt, nutmeg, paprika, onion powder and garlic granules) and chop them until you get a thicker paste.
Dissolve the gelatin in the hot chicken broth, and add it to the electric chopper, along with the beetroot juice.
I obtained the beetroot juice from a boiled beetroot that you can find in all stores, and which you grate, let it sit for a minute or two, then squeeze it and get the necessary juice. This will be the natural colouring of the homemade chicken salami.
Mix until you get a fluid, homogeneous paste with a beautiful rosy colour.
You need a plastic form in which the salami will harden, and you can get it from a half-litre bottle of water, to which you cut the narrow part. Pour the meat paste into this shape, cover it with plastic film and put it in the refrigerator for at least two hours (I kept it overnight).
After it has hardened, roll it in your hands so that it detaches from the mould and can be easily removed and sliced.
This was my homemade chicken salami recipe that was a massive success in my family and that I will certainly try another time.
For us, chicken salami is the ideal option for breakfast with toast, sheep’s cheese and tomatoes, but you can also make some delicious sandwiches and serve them as an appetizer at dinner.
I also recommend some of my favourite recipes that we eat for breakfast, such as:
- Homemade Hash Browns Recipe
- Grilled Eggplant Dip Recipe
- Best Creamed Cauliflower Recipe
- Best Scrambled Eggs Recipe-With Onion and Bacon
On our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram pages, you can like and share your favourite recipes and follow us to keep up to date with what we are cooking. You can also pin recipe ideas on Pinterest and follow us live on our YouTube channel.
Chicken Salami Recipe
- 1 Soup Pot
- 1 electric food chopper
- 500 g chicken breast bone in
- 1 piece bay leave
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1+1/2 tbsp vegetable mix for soups
- 1 tsp garlic granules or powder
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika sweet
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic granules or powder
- 2 sachets gelatine
- 50 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp beetroot juice
- Put the chicken breast in the pot with the vegetable mix, the peppercorns and the bay leaf, pour cold water to cover the meat well and cook it on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Take the meat out on a plate and let it cool down.
- Bone the meat and cut it into not very small pieces.
- Put the meat in an electric food chopper with the sea salt, nutmeg, paprika, onion powder and garlic granules, and chop them until you get a thicker paste.
- Grate one boiled or fresh beetroot, let it sit for a minute or two, squeeze it and get the necessary juice.
- Dissolve the gelatin in the warm chicken broth, and add it to the electric chopper, along with the beetroot juice.
- Mix until you get a fluid, homogeneous paste with a beautiful rosy colour.
- Take an empty half-litre bottle of water, cut the narrow part and obtain a plastic shape for the salami.
- Pour the meat paste into this shape, cover it with plastic film and put it in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Roll it in your hands so it detaches from the mould and can be easily removed and sliced.
- Serve the chicken salami with toast, sheep’s cheese and tomatoes, or make delicious sandwiches and serve them as an appetizer at dinner.