Looking for the perfect appetizer for your next party or for dinner? Look no further than this delicious and easy smoked mackerel spread! And that’s because you only need a few ingredients and only ten minutes to make this excellent appetizer to enjoy during dinner.
Table of Contents
You can make this type of smoked fish cream of different kinds of fish. The most suitable are smoked trout, smoked salmon, as in the smoked salmon cream cheese recipe or smoked mackerel that I will use here. No matter what kind of smoked fish you use, adding some essential ingredients and seasonings according to everyone’s tastes, the dish will surely be successful.
For four generous portions, I will use 200 g ( 7 oz )of smoked mackerel, which means two pieces of mackerel, and 200 g ( 7 oz ) of full-fat cream cheese; these are the essential ingredients of the dish.
Over these ingredients, I will add a spoonful of each chopped chives and dill, which in addition to taste, will also give a little colour to the dip.
Finally, I will season everything with a spoonful of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
How to Make the Smoked Mackerel Spread?
Preparing the Ingredients
As I said, this smoked mackerel spread recipe is straightforward; preparing the ingredients does not require much time.
I only have to finely chop the chives and dill and remove the skin from the smoked fish because I won’t be using it.
Make the Paste
Because I want the dish to have the consistency of a homogeneous paste, I will use an electric food chopper, a device I often use in the kitchen. I will first put in the chopper the smoked mackerel, torn by hand, into smaller pieces.
Over the fish, I add the cream cheese, which, being in the same amount as the smoked fish, is enough to give the dish a creamy and delicate texture. Nothing else needs to be added.
I mix everything for about a minute until I get the desired consistency. The fish will be completely shredded and mixed homogeneously with the cream cheese.
Seasoning the Spread
Transfer the pasta thus obtained to a bowl where I will continue the seasoning. I add finely chopped dill and chives, the juice of half a lemon and freshly ground pepper.
I mix with a spoon to incorporate the greens, and that’s it; all that remains is to fry some bread. This is my easy smoked mackerel spread recipe that I recommend you try and let me know how it turned out for you.
Serving the Fish Spread
Serve this smoked mackerel spread as I did: put the bowl on the table with freshly toasted bread and a slice of lemon and invite people to the table, of course, with a glass of wine.
If you have no idea what kind of appetizer to serve at dinner with family or friends, I recommend some from our blog that has been successful with us, such as:
- Herbed Cream Cheese Recipe
- Eggplant With Minced Pork
- Vegan Guacamole
- Spinach and Feta Rolls
- Creamy Mozzarella Polenta
- Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Recipe
- Stuffed Mushrooms With Cheese and Bacon
- Zucchini Balls Recipe
- Deviled Eggs Without Vinegar
Please follow us on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages to be the first to find out about our new recipe ideas and where you can give us a like and share them if you liked them. Also, you can pin our recipes to your collection on Pinterest or watch us live how we cook on our new YouTube channel.
Smoked Mackerel Spread
- 1 electric food chopper
- 1 bowl
- 200 g smoked mackerel
- 200 g cream cheese full-fat
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh chives chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- Chop the fresh chives and dill and remove the skin from the smoked fish.
- Place in the chopper the mackerel, torn by hand, into smaller pieces.
- Over the fish, add the cream cheese.
- Mix everything for about a minute until the fish is completely shredded and get a homogenous paste.
- Transfer this pasta into a bowl and add the chopped dill, chives, lemon juice, and ground pepper.
- Mix with a spoon to incorporate the ingredients.
- Serve this smoked mackerel spread with freshly toasted bread and a slice of lemon.