In my opinion, the best fish soup recipe is the Hungarian fisherman’s soup, cooked from river fish and with a lot of onions and paprika powder. Hot and spicy are the best!
Table of Contents
- What Ingredients Do I Use From This Soup?
- Let’s Do the Base of the Best Fish Soup Recipe
- Finishing the Fisherman’s Soup
- Serving the Soup
Fisherman’s soup is a typical Hungarian recipe, like the famous goulash. It’s cooked from fish parts such as head, tail and fins: carp, crucian carp, bream or catfish, which we used to make a soup base. Connoisseurs say the more types of fish we use, the tastier the soup will be.
Let me show you how to make the basis of this delicious soup.
What Ingredients Do I Use From This Soup?
We used fish caught in local rivers and lakes in the original recipes, but today I had to buy two pieces of farm carp of about 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) each.
If you love fish soup, you can use a trick. Every time you cook fried fish, when you clean the fish, you can freeze the head and tail of the fish and use them when you want to make fisherman’s soup.
I will also use three medium-sized onions, one red kapia pepper and two ripe tomatoes.
Let’s Do the Base of the Best Fish Soup Recipe
Preparing the Fish
For this, we will prepare the fish first. Clean and wash the carps well, then cut off the head, the tail and the fins for each one. From these, we will make the base for the soup.
From the remaining fish bodies, we will cut them into fillets or steak, and we will add them to the soup at the end.
We wash and clean the vegetables.
Slice the onion coarser, and cut the tomatoes and kapia peppers into larger pieces.
Making the Fish Stock
Take a large soup pot in and place the fish pieces first on the bottom of the pot.
Put the coarsely sliced onions over the fish pieces in the pot.
In the end, add the cut tomatoes and the sweet paprika.
Fill the pot with cold water, about 5 litres, and put it to boil, over medium heat, for about two hours. Season with one tablespoon of sea salt and add one teaspoon of peppercorns.
It must boil well until the gelatin comes out of the bones and the meat comes apart.
After it has boiled, let it cool a bit, then, while it is still hot, pass this soup through a sieve. Try with a wooden spoon to mix in the sieve so that you can press the solid part through the sieve.
This fish stock will be the base for my best fish soup recipe.
Finishing the Fisherman’s Soup
For this, I added three tablespoons of Hungarian sweet paprika to the fish stock, which will give both colour and a unique taste to the soup.
Pour these fish stock back into the pot and boil it. Because it is a fish concentrate, it must add about two litres of water to dilute it.
Season with of one teaspoon of chilli flakes and taste, if you want, add more salt and pepper.
Cut the remaining carp bodies into fillets or steaks, as you like, and the fillets into not very small pieces.
When the soup starts to boil, add the fish pieces, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Now we are careful not to mix the soup so that the fish pieces remain whole.
Serving the Soup
The fisherman’s soup is served hot, with more fresh or jarred chilli peppers and fresh bread.
Because it is hot and spicy, you will need more bread, but it is delicious.
If you liked this recipe, I also recommend other Hungarian soup recipes such as:
- White Bean Soup With Smoked Ribs
- Smoked Sausage Potato Soup
- Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Romaine Lettuce Soup
- Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe
- Best Mushroom Soup Recipe
- Hungarian Green Bean Soup Recipe
- Creamy Kohlrabi Soup Recipe
Best Fish Soup Recipe-Hungarian Fisherman’s Soup
- 1 Soup Pot
- 3 kg carp fish fresh or frozen
- 1 piece red pepper sweet
- 3 pieces onions large
- 2 pieces tomatoes riped
- ½ tsp chilli flakes dried
- 1.5 tbsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 0.5 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- Clean and wash the carps well, then cut off the head, the tail and the fins for each one. Slice the onion coarser, and cut the tomatoes and kapia peppers into larger pieces.
- Take a large soup pot in which place the fish pieces first on the bottom of the pot. Put sliced onions on the fish and add the tomatoes and chopped paprika. Fill the pot with cold water, about 5 litres, season with sea salt and peppercorns and put it to boil, over medium heat, for about two hours.
- After it has boiled, let it cool a bit, then, while it is still hot, pass this soup through a sieve. Try with a wooden spoon to mix in the sieve, so that you can press as much of the solid part through the sieve.
- Add the Hungarian sweet paprika to the soup base and pour the soup base back into the pot and boiled it. Because it is a fish concentrate, add about two litres of water. Season with one teaspoon of chilli flakes and taste, if you want, add more salt and pepper.
- When the soup start to boil, add the fish pieces, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Served hot, with the addition of chilli and fresh bread.