I recommend you to make today a side dish much loved by our family, a delicious grated summer squash stew recipe, which served with a little sour cream on top fits perfectly for example with fried breaded pork chops.
It is an easy summer, vegetarian recipe that can be served with fried eggs if you do not want to eat with meat, but in my opinion, it fits with meatballs better.
The most important question is what kind of squash will we make the recipe from? I usually make this recipe from summer squash, and more precisely from a variety similar to zucchini but pale green in some places called tatuma squash or Mexican squash.
Only Few Ingredients
Because I said it’s a simple recipe, we only need two main ingredients, namely summer squash, of which I need four pieces of small-medium size, in total about 1-1.2 kg, and a can of chopped tomatoes of 400 g.
And as an aromatic plant, we will add a handful of chopped green dill that fits perfectly with the summer squash.
Preparing the Ingredients
Because as is the name of the dish is grated summer squash stew recipe, we have to grate the squash. For this, I usually use to cut the heads of the squash first and then peel it with a vegetable peeler.
If the pumpkins are more mature and have the seeds already formed, we will first remove them with a spoon. But because my pumpkins are very young and firm, there is no need, we just cut them in half.
We are going to pass them through the large grater and put them in a larger bowl.
How to Make the Grated Summer Squash Stew Recipe?
I’ll show you how simple it is! In a larger saucepan or a pot, heat 50 ml (3.5-4 tbsp) of sunflower oil and put all the grated squash in it.
Mix with a wooden spoon, add 100 ml (1/2 cup) of warm water and leave to soak for about 3-4 minutes on medium heat.
When we see that the zucchini has softened, we add the chopped tomatoes from the can, I put only half for the first time and the rest only towards the end.
I added the chopped dill and seasoned with two tablespoons of sugar, one teaspoon of sea salt, a tablespoon of wine vinegar and two tablespoons of vegetable mix for soups.
Boil everything over medium to low heat for about 30 minutes and then add the rest of the canned tomatoes. Taste and if necessary you can add sea salt, according to everyone’s taste.
Let it simmer for another five minutes over medium heat and ready, it can be served.
It can be served in different ways as a side dish, we prefer to eat it with a little sour cream on top and with the meat, this time with breaded pork chops. But it also goes with meatballs or even various chicken or pork roasts, or fried eggs.
I recommend you to try this recipe because it is delicious and if you want other side dish recipes, I recommend the following from our blog:
- Best Sautéed Savoy Cabbage Recipe
- Easy Polenta Recipe
- Best Simple Potato Salad Recipe
- French Fries-Deep Fried Potatoes Recipe
- Best Breaded Eggplant Recipe
Grated Summer Squash Stew Recipe
- vegetable peeler
- larger saucepan
- 1.2 kg summer squash (42 oz) tatuma or Mexican squash
- 1 can chopped tomatoes 400 g
- 3 tbsp dill chopped
- 100 ml water (1/2 cup) warm
- 2 tbsp sugar granulated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt kosher
- 1 tbsp vinegar wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable mix for soups
- 50 ml sunflower oil (3.5-4 tbsp)
- 4.In a larger saucepan or a pot, heat the sunflower oil and put all the grated squash in it.5.Mix with a wooden spoon, add the warm water and leave to soak for about 3-4 minutes on medium heat.6.Add the chopped tomatoes from the can, I put only half for the first time and the rest only towards the end.7.Add the chopped dill and season with sugar, wine vinegar, sea salt and vegetable mix for soups.8.Boil everything over medium to low heat for about 30 minutes and then adds the rest of the canned tomatoes.9.Taste and if necessary you can add sea salt and let it simmer for another five minutes over medium heat.
- 10.It can be served in different ways as a side dish, with a little sour cream on top and with breaded pork chops or meatballs.
Hi, I am Timea and together with my husband Laci we decided to invite you to our virtual kitchen, see how to cook and how tasty the Transylvanian cuisine is.Learn more