Spaghetti isn’t just for dinner anymore! Our best spaghetti salad recipe is a delicious and refreshing way to enjoy this classic pasta anytime. This salad is healthy and satisfying, with fresh vegetables and a light dressing.
Table of Contents
As you know, spaghetti is a staple of traditional Italian cuisine, but today it is widespread and beloved worldwide. Thus, spaghetti salad is widespread in international cuisine and has many variants. Another similar recipe worth trying would be the easy cold pasta salad recipe.
Is This Vegetarian Spaghetti Salad Healthy?
Yes, vegetarian spaghetti salad can be a healthy dish. A vegetarian version of spaghetti salad can be an excellent source of nutrients such as fibre, protein, vitamins, and minerals, especially if it’s made with plenty of vegetables and whole-grain pasta. For example, adding vegetables like bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and spinach to your spaghetti salad will increase the fibre and nutrient content of the dish.
Additionally, a light vinaigrette instead of heavy creamy dressings can help reduce calories and unhealthy fats. As with any dish, the healthiness of a vegetarian spaghetti salad depends on the ingredients and preparation method used, so it’s always a good idea to check the recipe and nutrition information.
I like to say that the best spaghetti salad recipe is made with what you have in the kitchen. Let’s show you what ingredients I had!
Let’s See the Ingredients!
I used 500 g of spaghetti, enough for a salad for four people. But if you do not have spaghetti in the kitchen, you can use another kind of pasta.
I also used a cucumber, two medium-sized red onions, one sweet red pepper and about 150 g of red radish.
I will add some chives and grate 50 g of cheddar cheese for more flavour. I will season everything with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, lemon juice, oregano and extra virgin olive oil.
How to Make the Best Spaghetti Salad Recipe?
Boil the Pasta
First, we put the spaghetti to a boil. For this, we put the water to boil in a soup pot with a tablespoon of sea salt. When boiling water, put the spaghetti and boil according to the directions on the packaging, usually about 8-10 minutes.
Cut the Vegetables
During this time, we prepare vegetables. We clean and chop them, then put them in a larger bowl.
As you can see, I didn’t put tomatoes in this recipe, but you can. Depending on your imagination, add fruit, cheese or fried bacon, adding an extra flavour.
It’s time to season the vegetables. We add a teaspoon of sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
We squeeze the juice from a lemon and sprinkle it with about 100 ml of extra virgin olive oil. I also add a tablespoon of dry oregano for more flavour. Mix everything and set aside the bowl.
Mix All Ingredients
We check the spaghetti, and if they have boiled, put them in a strainer and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking.
The spaghetti is still warm; we put them over the vegetables and mix them lightly. The pasta shouldn’t cool completely to absorb the aromas better.
Sprinkle over the chopped chives, leaving the salad aside, cool the pasta and mix the flavours. And that was it; the best spaghetti salad recipe is ready!
How Do You Make Pasta Salad Less Bland?
To make pasta salad less bland, here are some tips you can try:
- Use flavorful ingredients: Add ingredients that are full of flavour, such as fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or chives, savoury cheese like cheddar, feta or parmesan, or salty ingredients like olives or capers. These ingredients will add a depth of flavour to your pasta salad.
- Add acidity: Adding acidic ingredients like vinegar, lemon juice, or tomatoes can help brighten the flavours of your pasta salad and make it less bland. Be careful not to overdo it, as too much acid can sour the salad.
- Use a flavorful dressing: A well-seasoned dressing can make all the difference in a pasta salad. Try adding herbs, spices, or mustard to your dressing to give it more flavour.
- Season generously: Don’t be afraid to add salt and pepper to your pasta salad to enhance the flavours of the other ingredients.
- Let it marinate: Letting your pasta salad marinate in the dressing for a few hours or overnight in the fridge can help the flavours meld together and create a more flavorful dish.
Using these tips, you can easily make your pasta salad less bland and more delicious.
How Long Does a Spaghetti Salad Last In the Fridge?
The storage time of a vegetarian pasta salad in the fridge depends on the ingredients used and the storage conditions. Generally, a properly stored vegetarian pasta salad can last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
To ensure the maximum shelf life of your pasta salad, store it in an airtight container and keep it in the coldest part of your fridge (usually the back or the bottom shelf). Suppose you’re storing a pasta salad with a mayonnaise-based dressing. In that case, keeping it in the fridge is best, as bacteria can overgrow at room temperature and cause foodborne illness.
Suppose you plan to store your vegetarian pasta salad for longer than 3-4 days. In that case, it’s best to freeze it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Frozen pasta salad can last for up to 3 months in the freezer, but keep in mind that the texture of the pasta may change slightly upon thawing.w long does a spaghetti salad last in the fridge?
How to Serve?
Vegetarian spaghetti salad can be served as a main or side dish, depending on your preference. Here are some serving suggestions:
- Main dish: Serve the spaghetti salad on a large platter or bowl, topped with extra cheddar, vegetables or fresh herbs, and enjoy it as a light and refreshing lunch or dinner. Add protein-rich toppings like chickpeas, tofu, or roasted nuts for a more filling meal.
- Side dish: Serve the spaghetti salad alongside grilled or roasted vegetables, baked tofu, or a hearty soup or chilli. It’s also a great addition to a potluck or barbecue, where it can be served as a cold and refreshing side dish.
- Meal prep: You can also prepare the spaghetti salad ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for a few days. It makes a great meal prep option for busy weekdays or packing lunch for work or school.
No matter how you serve it, vegetarian spaghetti salad is a tasty and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed any time of the year.
It is a tasty dinner, and if you like salads, I recommend you try it too the following salads:
- Green Bean Salad with Garlic Cream
- Chicken Breast with Pineapple and Mayonnaise
- Classic Egg Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Best Potatoes Salad-With Homemade Mayonnaise
- Sweet and Sour Butterhead Salad
- Avocado and Mango Salad
- Tuna Corn Salad Recipe
- Mediterranean Cabbage Salad Recipe
- Butter Beans Salad Recipe
- Best Homemade Guacamole Recipe
- Tomato Caprese Salad Recipe
- Grilled Apricot Salad Recipe
Best Spaghetti Salad Recipe
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 Soup Pot
- 1 strainer
- 1 grater
- 500 g spaghetti
- 1 piece cucumber
- 2 pieces red onions medium size
- 1 piece bell pepper
- 150 g red radish
- ½ bunch chives fresh
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 piece lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 100 ml olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 50 g cheddar cheese grated
- Put the water to boil in a soup pot with a tablespoon of sea salt, then add the spaghetti and cook according to the directions on the packaging, usually about 8-10 minutes.
- Clean and chop the onions, cucumber, radish, and bell pepper, then put them in a mixing bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of sea salt and ground pepper, squeeze the juice from a lemon and sprinkle the extra virgin olive oil. I add a tablespoon of dry oregano, mix everything and set aside the bowl.
- Put the spaghetti in a strainer and rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Add the strained spaghetti over the vegetables and mix them lightly.
- Sprinkle over the chopped chives and leave the salad aside, to rest and mix the flavours.
- Serve the salad with grated cheddar cheese on top.