In this blog post, we’ll share our favorite recipe for air fryer chicken legs, as well as some tips and tricks for getting the perfect results. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a complete beginner, we’ll show you how to make air fryer chicken legs that are sure to please the whole family.
If you own an air fryer or have been thinking about getting one, you’re in for a treat. We’re about to show you how to make the juiciest, most flavorful chicken legs imaginable, all thanks to the wonders of air frying. Here are some ideas for air fryer chicken recipes: Air Fryer Chicken Drumsticks, Air Fryer Honey Garlic Chicken Wings, or the Cosori Air Fryer Whole Chicken.
Table of Contents
Why to Try This Recipe?
Here are some reasons why you should try the air fryer chicken legs recipe:
- It’s quick and easy. Air fryer chicken legs are ready in just 18-20 minutes, making them a perfect weeknight meal.
- It’s healthy. Air frying uses very little oil, so you can enjoy all the flavor without the guilt. Plus, chicken legs are a good source of protein and nutrients.
- It’s delicious. Air fryer chicken legs are crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. They’re sure to please the whole family.
Here are some additional benefits of air fryer chicken legs:
- They’re versatile. You can season air fryer chicken legs however you like, and they’ll always turn out delicious.
- They’re affordable. Chicken legs are a relatively inexpensive cut of meat.
- They’re easy to clean up. Air fryer chicken legs are cooked in a single basket, so there’s very little cleanup required.
To create a delicious air fryer chicken legs recipe, you’ll need a combination of ingredients for seasoning and flavor. Here’s a list of common ingredients you can use:
- 4-5 pcs Chicken Legs-The best kind of chicken legs to use in an air fryer recipe are bone-in, skin-on chicken legs. This will give you the crispest skin and the juiciest meat.
- 1 tsp Sea Salt, because it has a natural flavor that can enhance the taste of the chicken.
- 1/2 tsp Ground pepper, has a sharp, pungent flavor that can add a lot of depth and complexity to your chicken legs.
- 1 tsp Paprika, has a slightly sweet, smoky flavor that can add a lot of depth and complexity to your meat.
- 1 tsp Onion Powder, adds a natural sweetness and savory umami flavor to food.
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander, because the coriander seeds have a warm, citrusy flavor with slight floral and nutty undertones.
- 1/2 tsp Italian spices, because have a strong and pleasant aroma that can make your food smell delicious.
- 1 tsp Vegetable Mix, can add a lot of flavor and depth to your dish.
- 1 tsp Pepper paste, adds a subtle heat and chili flavor to dishes.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil, has a delicious flavor that can enhance the taste of your chicken legs.
How to Make the Air Fryer Chicken Legs
Season the Chicken Legs
Once you have chosen your chicken legs, be sure to pat them dry with paper towels before air frying. This will help the skin to crisp up. Place the chicken thighs in a bowl and sprinkle all the spices from the list over them, along with the olive oil.
Massage the chicken legs well with your hands, so that the spices penetrate evenly everywhere. Cover the legs with plastic wrap and leave them to marinate for at least an hour. They would be tastier if they were left for a few hours, or overnight in the refrigerator.
Frying the Meat
To cook the chicken legs, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 C) and place the marinated chicken legs in the basket on a single layer. To begin with, it is recommended to spray the basket of the air fryer with olive oil and put the chicken thighs skin side down, after which they will be turned.
Set the device to a temperature of 175 C (347 F) and fry the chicken legs for 35 minutes. I prefer to fry them at a lower temperature for a longer time, so I will avoid blackening the skin of the thighs due to the spices used.
Halfway through, that is, after 17-18 minutes, open the air fryer drawer and turn each chicken leg to the other side, skin side up, then continue frying them.
At the end of the time, the chicken legs will have a dark golden color and will be juicy and tasty. To make the skin more crispy, continue to fry them for another 3-5 minutes at a temperature of 205 C (400 F).
Now my chicken legs are ready to be devoured. This was my air fryer chicken legs recipe, in my opinion very easy to make, but believe me they have a special aroma and an amazing taste.
How to Store?
To store air fryer chicken legs, follow these steps: let the chicken legs cool completely before storing them, place them in a single layer in an airtight container, and refrigerate it for up to 4 days.
If you need to store the chicken legs for longer, you can freeze them. To do this, let the chicken legs cool completely before freezing them, place them in a single layer in a freezer-safe bag or container, and freeze them for up to 3 months.
What Type of Air Fryer do I Use?
My Cosori XXL air fryer is a popular choice for consumers who are looking for a large and versatile air fryer. It has a 5.5L capacity, which is enough to cook food for a family of four or more. The Cosori XXL air fryer also has 11 pre-set programs, making it easy to cook a variety of foods, such as chicken, fish, vegetables, and even desserts.
How long do you cook chicken legs in an air fryer?
Chicken legs in my Cosori air fryer typically take 35-40 minutes to cook at 175 C (347 degrees Fahrenheit) flipping them halfway through the cooking time. However, the exact cooking time will vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken legs, as well as the model of your air fryer.
Are chicken legs better in the oven or air fryer?
The best way to cook chicken legs is the method that you prefer. If you want the convenience of a faster, crispier result with less oil, an air fryer might be your choice. However, if you need to cook larger quantities or prefer a more traditional cooking method, the oven may be the better option.
How do you now when air fryer chicken legs are done?
There are a few ways to tell when air fryer chicken legs are done:
–Use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature of the chicken legs should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit (74 degrees Celsius) in order to be safe to eat. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, away from the bone.
–Check the juices. When you pierce the meat with a fork, the juices should run clear. If the juices are pink or red, the chicken legs need to cook longer.
–Check the skin. The skin of the chicken legs should be golden brown and crispy. If the skin is still pale or soggy, the chicken legs need to cook longer.
Serving the Chicken Legs
Air fryer chicken legs can be served with a variety of different side dishes. Here are a few ideas:
- Mashed potatoes: Mashed potatoes are a classic comfort food that pairs perfectly with air fryer chicken legs.
- Rice pilaf: Rice pilaf is a flavorful rice dish that is perfect for serving with chicken.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables are a healthy and delicious side dish that can be served with air fryer chicken legs. Some good options include broccoli, carrots, potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.
- Salad: A salad is a light and refreshing side dish that can be served with air fryer chicken legs. Some good options include a Caesar salad, a garden salad, or a Cobb salad.
- Gravy: Gravy is a classic sauce that can be served with air fryer chicken legs. You can make your own gravy or purchase a pre-made gravy from the store.
Here are some additional tips for serving air fryer chicken legs:
- Garnish the chicken legs with fresh herbs. Fresh herbs, such as parsley, cilantro, and rosemary, can add a touch of freshness and flavor to air fryer chicken legs.
- Serve the chicken legs with a dipping sauce. Dipping sauces, such as barbecue sauce, honey mustard sauce, and ranch dressing, can add extra flavor and moisture to air fryer chicken legs.
- Serve the chicken legs with a side of bread. Bread, such as biscuits, rolls, or cornbread, can be used to soak up the juices from the chicken legs.
Don’t forget that you can also follow us on our Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram pages to keep up to date with our new recipe ideas. You can also pin for the recipe collection on Pinterest and watch us cook on our new YouTube channel.
Best Air Fryer Chicken Legs: Crispy, Juicy, and Easy
- 5 pcs chicken legs free range
- 1 tsp sea salt kosher
- ½ tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp paprika mild, Hungarian
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp Italian spices
- 1 tsp vegetable mix
- 1 tsp pepper paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Pat the chicken legs dry with paper towels and sprinkle all the spices from the list over them, along with the olive oil.
- Massage them well with your hands, so that the spices penetrate evenly everywhere. Cover with plastic wrap and leave them to marinate for at least an hour.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 C) and spray the basket with olive oil. Place the marinated chicken legs in the basket on a single layer with skin side down.
- Set the device to a temperature of 175 C (347 F) and fry the chicken legs for 35 minutes.
- Halfway through, that is, after 17-18 minutes, open the air fryer drawer and turn each chicken leg to the other side, skin side up, then continue frying them.
- To make the skin more crispy, continue to fry them for another 3-5 minutes at a temperature of 205 C (400 F).
- Air fryer chicken legs can be served with a variety of different side dishes like mashed potatoes, rice pilaf, roasted vegetables, salad, or gravy.
- Choose chicken legs that are all about the same size. This will help them to cook evenly.
- Avoid chicken legs that have any bruises or discoloration.
- If you are using frozen chicken legs, be sure to thaw them completely before cooking them.