I definitely want to present the recipe of the most consumed soup on the first day of the year: the sauerkraut sausage soup recipe.
Table of Contents
- Let’s See the Ingredients
- How I Prepared the Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe?
- Finishing the soup
- Serving Ideas
Named in popular terms as the “drunkards soup”, it is the most suitable preparation to cure the hangover, after the New Year’s Eve party.
There are many variants of this recipe, almost every country in Eastern Europe has a different version.
My recipe is adapted from Hungarian cuisine, so it contains smoked sausages. For an added flavour, I added little smoked pork ribs, you will see it’s delicious.
Let’s See the Ingredients
This soup contains few ingredients, is very easy to make, and is prepared in a relatively short time.
We need two medium onions, smoked pork sausages, very good quality, and smoked pork ribs.
The pork rib is not necessary, you can just leave the pork sausages, just increase the quantity and necessarily be smoked.
We also need pickled cabbage or sauerkraut, which is the main ingredient of the recipe. You can find it in stores, grated in thin lines and most often in brine.
How I Prepared the Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe?
As I said, this is a simple sauerkraut sausage soup recipe, whose preparation takes around an hour.
In the beginning, I cleaned and chopped the two medium-sized onions.
We also cut the sausage into pieces not very thin.
Another important thing to do is to taste the sauerkraut. If you think it is too salty or too sour, which usually happens, it is advisable to wash and drain it.
For this, you put the sauerkraut in a sieve, and wash it under a stream of cold water, then leave it in the sieve to drain well.
In a soup pot, I heated a little sunflower oil, in which we will fry the chopped onion. Fry onion for about 3-4 minutes, until it becomes translucent.
Now we can add the sauerkraut to the pot, and mix a little the cabbage with the fried onion.
Season with two teaspoons of cumin powder and a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper.
We fill the pot with cold water, I put about two litres, and let it boil over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes.
After about half an hour, we can add the smoked ribs cut into pieces and sliced sausages to the pot.
Boil another 20 minutes, during which time we prepare the thickening. To do this, in a small saucepan, heat two tablespoons of sunflower oil or pork lard.
When the oil is hot, put two tablespoons of wheat flour, stirring constantly.
In order for the thickening to have a pleasant taste, the flour must be fried a little, becoming golden.
Take the pan from the heat and add a tablespoon of sweet paprika powder. We must be careful not to burn the paprika because it will become bitter.
Add two tablespoons of water and mix until it becomes a homogeneous paste.
This thickened recipe is typical of Hungarian and Transylvanian recipes, which often thicken the food with this type of fried flour, or cold roux with flour and sour cream.
Finishing the soup
Add this thickener to the soup using a sieve as in the bean soup recipe, and let it boil another 5-10 minutes.
You can taste the soup and if you need more you can season, I put one tablespoon of the vegetable mix for soups.
With this, our sauerkraut sausage soup recipe is ready and we can serve it.
It is served hot and with fresh bread.
You can also add a tablespoon of cream and serve with chilli, I guarantee you will feel much better in the new year.
Here are some ideas for anyone who wants to try this recipe:
– taste the sauerkraut before, and if necessary wash it
– you can only use smoked sausages, but choose high-quality pork sausages
– you can make soup without using the thickening, for this add the paprika powder at the beginning over the fried onion
– taste the soup before adding salt, it may not be necessary, nor have I added at all
I wish you well and I look forward to your ideas.
Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe
- In a pot of soup, I heated a little sunflower oil, in which we will fry the chopped onion. Fry onion for about 3-4 minutes, until it becomes translucent.
- Add the sauerkraut in the pot, and mix a little the cabbage with the fried onion. Season with two teaspoons of cumin powder and a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper.
- Fill the pot with cold water, I put about two litres, and let it boil over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. After about half an hour, we can add the smoked ribs cut into pieces and sliced sausages in the pot. Boil another 20 minutes, during which time we prepare the thickening.
- Add this thickener to the soup using a sieve and let it boil another 5-10 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of cream and serve with chilli and fresh bread.