Want a quick and tasty salad idea? Try the butter beans salad recipe, a simple dish with red onions and sundried tomatoes, perfect for a quick lunch or as a side dish with meatballs or breaded chops. It is a healthy recipe that can be consumed as such by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians if you add smoked sausages for example.
In the past, I used to make this recipe most often when I was cooking white bean soup with smoked ribs, and when the beans were cooked, I took out 2-3 ladles of beans from the soup and made this salad. It was amazing, especially because it had a special taste boiling along the smoked ribs.
Today, however, I will simplify the recipe and I will use canned butter beans, perfect for this type of salad and you will see that it is done very quickly.
We need for this recipe three cans of butter beans and one red onion from which we will make a salad for three people.
You have to be careful to use canned beans in water and not with tomatoes, which is not good for this recipe, instead, the beans can be of another type such as cannellini beans or even of another colour kidney beans.
To make the salad more delicious, I will add some sun-dried tomatoes whose aroma will raise the salad to another level.
How to Make the Butter Beans Salad Recipe?
You will see how simple it is, anyone can do it even without any experience in cooking. We open the canned beans and pour the contents into a sieve and let them drain the juice. There are some who wash the beans under a stream of water, I didn’t do that, I just let the beans drain.
After it has drained, I put the beans in a bowl in which I will make and mix the salad. We are going to clean and cut the red onion.
After cutting the onion in half, I sliced it thinly so that it will stand out among the beans. But whoever wants to can chop it up, it’s no problem. Also, instead of red onions, you can use shallot, which is a little sweeter and tastes less prominent.
Sprinkle the sliced onion over the beans in a bowl, unwrapping it by hand to spread better through the beans.
I will season the salad first with half a teaspoon of sea salt and half a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper. I added two tablespoons of oil, I put sunflower oil but you can also use extra virgin olive oil.
Mix everything lightly with a spoon, then add a tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley, because I didn’t have it, I used frozen chopped parsley.
Mix, and if you find it too dry you can add a little more oil. Follow the final part, add the sun-dried tomatoes. For this, I took three pieces out of the jar (you can put more) and I chopped them not very finely.
I must tell you that these tomatoes are very fragrant and give a special taste to any food, I recommend you use them especially when it is not the season of tomatoes. Put them in a bowl over the other ingredients and add half a teaspoon of the vegetable mix for soups.
The last light mixing follows, after which I recommend you let the salad sit for at least 10-15 minutes, to combine all the flavours.
You see, I’m done, this is the simple butter beans salad recipe ready to serve!
Serving the Beans Salad
It can be served as such with a little fresh bread or with meatballs or other types of fried meat. You can also add smoked sausages, bacon or leftover meat to the salad.
Try this simple butter beans salad recipe and if you like it I also recommend other salads on our blog such as:
- Simple Tuna and Pasta Salad Recipe
- Best Homemade Chicken Salad Recipe
- Grilled Apricot Salad Recipe
- Chicken Breast With Pineapple and Mayonnaise
- Tomato Avocado Egg Salad Recipe
Butter Beans Salad Recipe
- 3 can butter beans in water
- 1 piece red onion large size
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 3 pieces sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp vegetable mix from soup
- Open the canned beans and pour the contents into a sieve and let them drain the juice. Cut the onion in half and sliced it thinly. Sprinkle the sliced onion over the beans in a bowl, unwrapping it by hand to spread better through the beans.
- Season the salad first with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and add two tablespoons of sunflower oil. Mix everything lightly with a spoon, then add a tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley. Mix, and if you find it too dry you can add a little more oil.
- Take three pieces of sundried tomatoes out of the jar (you can put more) and I chopped them not very finely. Put them in a bowl over the other ingredients and add half a teaspoon of the vegetable mix for soups.
- Mix it again, after which I recommend you let the salad sit for at least 10-15 minutes, to combine all the flavours.
- It can be served as such with a little fresh bread or with meatballs or other types of fried meat. You can also add smoked sausages, bacon or leftover meat to the salad.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hi, I am Timea and together with my husband Laci we decided to invite you to our virtual kitchen, see how to cook and how tasty the Transylvanian cuisine is.Learn more