The best sauteed savoy cabbage recipe follows this week, with potatoes and paprika powder, a delicious side dish along with any variant of breaded meat or meatballs. This is a recipe often found in Hungarian cuisine, and in this version, it was made in my family.
Savoy cabbage is the perfect choice for this recipe, for its aroma, texture and the benefits of cabbage, containing a series of vitamins and fibres. You will see that it is an easy and quick recipe, it can be cooked by anyone, without too much culinary experience.
As you can see, we only need three basic ingredients, savoy cabbage, potatoes and a few cloves of garlic. I used two heads of savoy cabbage, a total of about a kilogram, which I cut in four, and about a kilogram of white potatoes.
And we need three more cloves of garlic, which we will grate in the dish. But first, let’s prepare the ingredients.
Preparing the Ingredients
We start with cabbage, which after I cut it in four, I took each quarter of the cabbage and started slicing it into not very thin slices, about 1 cm thick.
Repeat the operation until we cut all the cabbage, and put it in the bowl.
The potatoes, after I washed and peeled them, I cut them into 2 cm thick cubes. Try to cut them to equal sizes so that they boil evenly and at the same time.
We peel the garlic cloves.
How to Make the Best Sauteed Savoy Cabbage Recipe?
I chose to make this dish in a larger soup pot, in which I put chopped cabbage and two litres of cold water. I boiled, along with a tablespoon of sea salt, about 3-4 minutes.
After the cabbage softens a little, add diced potatoes, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the type of potatoes used, until they boil.
When the potatoes are almost cooked, add the garlic, which we grate or crash directly into the pot.
Season with a tablespoon of caraway, a tablespoon of marjoram, a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and two teaspoons of the vegetable mix for soups.
Because I like the stew to be more consistent, I will make a thinner thickening of 100 ml of oil to which I add two tablespoons of flour and a teaspoon of Hungarian sweet paprika, and which I diluted with 50 ml of warm water.
The complete recipe for this type of wholesale can be found on the page with smoked sausage potato soup.
We also add this thickening over the savoy cabbage, mix it easily to make everything uniform and taste it, if necessary you can season it according to everyone’s tastes.
Boil for another 2-3 minutes and you’re done, this is, in my opinion, the best sauteed savoy cabbage recipe, ready to serve.
Serving the Dish
As I said, it can be served as a side dish with meat dishes, such as meatballs, breaded pork chops whose recipe you can find in fried breaded pork chops recipe, meatloaf, like basic easy meatloaf recipe or even beef stew (best homemade beef stew recipe).
I chose to serve this dish today with some delicious boneless breaded chicken legs.
If you liked the best sauteed savoy cabbage recipe, and you want other recipes with cabbage, I propose from our blog the following:
- Best Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Delicious Cabbage Casserole Recipe
- Beef and Cabbage Stew Recipe
- Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe
- Cabbage Soup With Pork Meat
Best Sauteed Savoy Cabbage Recipe
- Soup Pot
- Cut the savoy cabbage in four, take each quarter of the cabbage and started slicing it into not very thin slices, about 1 cm thick. The potatoes, after I washed and peeled them, I cut them into 2 cm thick cubes. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Take a larger soup pot, which put the chopped cabbage and two litres of cold water. Boil, along with a tablespoon of sea salt, about 3-4 minutes. After the cabbage softens a little, add diced potatoes, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the type of potatoes used. When the potatoes are almost cooked, add the grated garlic and season with caraway, marjoram, freshly ground pepper and the vegetable mix for soups.
- Make a thinner thickening from sunflower oil, wheat flour and Hungarian sweet paprika, which I diluted with little warm water. Add this thickening over the savoy cabbage, mix it easily to make everything uniform and taste it, if necessary you can season it according to everyone’s tastes. Boil for another 2-3 minutes and you’re done.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Hi, I am Timea and together with my husband Laci we decided to invite you to our virtual kitchen, see how to cook and how tasty the Transylvanian cuisine is.Learn more