This week, the best sauteed savoy cabbage recipe follows with potatoes and paprika powder, a delicious side dish, and any variant of breaded meat or meatballs. This recipe is often found in Hungarian cuisine; in this version, it was made by my family.
Table of Contents
Savoy cabbage is the perfect choice for this recipe for its aroma, texture and benefits of cabbage, containing a series of vitamins and fibres. It is an easy and quick recipe; anyone can cook it without too much culinary experience.
As you can see, for this savoy cabbage recipe, we only need three basic ingredients, savoy cabbage, potatoes and a few cloves of garlic. I used two heads of savoy cabbage, a total of about a kilogram, which I cut in four, and about a kilogram of white potatoes.
And we need three more cloves of garlic, which we will grate into the dish. But first, let’s prepare the ingredients.
How to Make the Best Sauteed Savoy Cabbage Recipe?
Preparing the Ingredients
I started with cabbage, and after I cut it in four, I took each quarter of the cabbage and started slicing it into not very thin slices, about 1 cm thick.
Repeat the operation until we cut all the cabbage, and put it in the bowl.
After washing and peeling the potatoes, I cut them into 2 cm thick cubes. Try to cut them to equal sizes so that they boil evenly and simultaneously.
I peel the garlic cloves.
Prepare the Savoy Cabbage
I made this dish in a larger soup pot, where I put chopped cabbage and two litres of cold water. I boiled, along with a tablespoon of sea salt, for about 3-4 minutes.
Add the Potatoes
After the cabbage softens, add diced potatoes, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the type of potatoes used, until they boil.
Seasoning the Vegetables
When the potatoes are almost cooked, add the garlic, which we grate or crash directly into the pot.
Season with a tablespoon of caraway, a tablespoon of marjoram, a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper and two teaspoons of the vegetable mix for soups.
Make a Roux
Because I like the stew to be more consistent, I will make a thinner thickening of 100 ml of oil to which I add two tablespoons of flour and a teaspoon of Hungarian sweet paprika, and which I diluted with 50 ml of warm water.
The complete recipe for this type of wholesale can be found on the page with smoked sausage potato soup.
Finishing the Dish
We also add this thickening over the savoy cabbage, mix it easily to make everything uniform and taste it; if necessary, you can season it according to everyone’s tastes.
Boil for another 2-3 minutes, and you’re done; I think this is the best sauteed savoy cabbage recipe, ready to serve.
Serving the Dish
As I said, it can be served as a side dish with meat dishes, such as meatballs, breaded pork chops whose recipe you can find in fried breaded pork chops recipe, meatloaf, like basic easy meatloaf recipe or even beef stew (best homemade beef stew recipe).
Today, I served this sauteed savoy cabbage with some delicious boneless breaded chicken legs.
If you liked the best sauteed savoy cabbage recipe, and you want other recipes with cabbage, I propose from our blog the following:
- Best Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Delicious Cabbage Casserole Recipe
- Beef and Cabbage Stew Recipe
- Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe
- Cabbage Soup With Pork Meat
- Mediterranean Cabbage Salad Recipe
- Vegan Cabbage and Pasta Recipe
- Best Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
Best Sauteed Savoy Cabbage Recipe
- 1 Soup Pot
- 1 Saucepan
- Cut the savoy cabbage in four, take each quarter of the cabbage and started slicing it into not very thin slices, about 1 cm thick. The potatoes, after I washed and peeled them, I cut them into 2 cm thick cubes. Peel the garlic cloves.
- Take a larger soup pot, which put the chopped cabbage and two litres of cold water. Boil, along with a tablespoon of sea salt, about 3-4 minutes. After the cabbage softens a little, add diced potatoes, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the type of potatoes used. When the potatoes are almost cooked, add the grated garlic and season with caraway, marjoram, freshly ground pepper and the vegetable mix for soups.
- Make a thinner thickening from sunflower oil, wheat flour and Hungarian sweet paprika, which I diluted with little warm water. Add this thickening over the savoy cabbage, mix it easily to make everything uniform and taste it, if necessary you can season it according to everyone’s tastes. Boil for another 2-3 minutes and you’re done.
- It can be served as a side dish with meat dishes, such as meatballs, breaded pork chops, meatloaf or even beef stew.