If you try it, this Mediterranean cabbage salad recipe will become one of your favourite salads and will not be missing from the table when cooking meat dishes. Whether you cook an easy pan-fried steak or an oven-baked pork steak or make a creamy homemade chicken stew with sour cream, this cabbage salad is ideal for eating.
Table of Contents
Besides the fact that cabbage is healthy and is a rich source of fibre, it is also one of the cheapest ingredients we use in our recipes. Whether we are talking about fresh cabbage or sauerkraut, this was and will remain one of the basic ingredients of our cuisine in Transylvania.
I suggest we go directly to the ingredients I will use in this recipe because I thought not to make a simple cabbage salad but to modify it a little to bring it to a higher level.
The amount of salad they make is enough for six people, but even if we don’t eat it all, we can put the remaining amount in the fridge where it can be kept for up to three days, and the next day it is even more delicious.
Because I had a large head of cabbage, I will use only half, that is about 800 g of fresh cabbage. I will use two more carrots, two red apples, one cucumber and 100 g of red radishes.
And for an extra spring flavour, I thought I’d add a bunch of spring onions.
How to Make the Mediterranean Cabbage Salad Recipe?
Grating the Ingredients
I will start by grating and cutting all the ingredients in a larger mixing bowl so I can mix more easily. I start with the red radishes and the carrots that I will grate on the large grater.
Continue with the cucumber, which I peeled, but if you want, you can leave it like this, after which I also grate it on the large grater. Also, I did not remove the core of the cucumber because I will remove the excess liquid from the salad anyway.
I add the apples that I also put on the large grater without peeling them, and the spring onion is cut into 2-2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces.
I left the cabbage at the end, and after cutting it in two, I will slice it thinly with a knife. Whoever wants can just as well grind or slice in a food processor.
I add sliced cabbage over the other ingredients, season with two tablespoons of sea salt and mix the ingredients well so that the salt reaches everywhere.
Let the ingredients sit for about 5-10 minutes, during which time the salt will soften them and extract the water from them. After that, with my hand, I will take a quantity of salad that I will squeeze and put it in another bowl.
Thus the salad will contain much less liquid and be easier to season. Otherwise, after a day of sitting, the salad will be very moist and look unpleasant.
Now I can season, I will add a tablespoon and a half of chopped dill, three tablespoons of white wine vinegar, a teaspoon of freshly ground pepper, half a teaspoon of sugar and about two and a half tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
Mix again with a wooden spoon, taste if you want to season with something according to your tastes, and ready, this was my Mediterranean cabbage salad recipe, ready to be served.
Put the cabbage salad in a serving bowl and place it in the middle of the table, where each will be served on a plate with steaks. Cover the remaining amount with cling film, which can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days.
The Mediterranean cabbage salad recipe is not the only cabbage recipe on our blog, but you can also find others, such as:
- Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Sauerkraut Sausage Soup Recipe
- Beef and Cabbage Stew Recipe
- Best Sauteed Savoy Cabbage Recipe
- Quick and Easy Homemade Coleslaw Recipe
- Vegan Cabbage and Pasta Recipe
- Best Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Best Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Delicious Cabbage Casserole Recipe
Mediterranean Cabbage Salad Recipe
- 1 mixing bowl
- 800 g green cabbage
- 2 pieces carrots
- 2 pieces apples red
- 1 piece cucumber
- 1 bunch spring onion
- 100 g red radish
- 2 tbsp sea salt kosher
- 3 tbsp grape vinegar white
- 1.5 tbsp dill chopped
- ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 2.5 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Start with the red radishes and the carrots that you will grate on the large grater. Continue with the cucumber, which I peeled, but if you want you can leave it like this, after which I also grate it on the large grater. Add the apples that I also put on the large grater without peeling them and the spring onion cut into 2-2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces.
- I left the cabbage at the end, which after cutting it in two I will slice it thinly with a knife. Add sliced cabbage over the other ingredients, season with sea salt and mix the ingredients well so that the salt reaches everywhere. Let the ingredients sit for about 5-10 minutes, during which time the salt will soften them a little and will extract the water from them.
- Take a quantity of salad that I will squeeze and put in another bowl. Season with chopped dill, white wine vinegar, freshly ground pepper, sugar and about two and a half tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Mix again with a wooden spoon, taste if you want to season with something, according to your tastes, and ready
- Put the salad in a serving bowl and place it in the middle of the table, from where each will be served on a plate with steaks.