Today I decided to make a recipe, a special cabbage soup with pork meat, one of my family’s favourites. It is a Hungarian recipe and is very common in Transylvania under the name “lucskos kaposzta”, a thicker cabbage soup.
Table of Contents
- Preparing the Ingredients
- How to Make the Cabbage Soup With Pork Meat?
In our kitchen is a basic soup, along with white bean soup and smoked sausage potato soup, it is to everyone’s liking and that is why I do it very often.
The original recipe contains pork, some smoked pork meat or pork ribs, but today I will do it without smoked meat, I will use only pork shoulder. Those who want to make cabbage soup for their diet, instead of meat can use only onions and some peppers, carrots and mushrooms.
So we need a fresh cabbage of about 1 kg or two smaller versions, which we will slice not very fine. We still need two white onions and half a kg of pork shoulder or ham.
I will also use a bunch of dill and a can of chopped tomatoes, which will give a special taste to the soup.
Preparing the Ingredients
We will prepare the ingredients in the order in which we will cook them according to the recipe so we start with onions. Peel the two onions and chop them finely.
You can use any kind of pork that has little fat such as ham, neck or shoulder. I used a pork shoulder that I cut into not-too-big cubes, firstly because it doesn’t look good on the plate, and secondly because I will cook them faster.
All we have to do is finely chop the dill, we will need at least two tablespoons of chopped dill to get the desired taste. The original recipe also includes green summer savoury, but as I did not find it, I used dried thyme.
The ingredients are ready, let’s start cooking.
How to Make the Cabbage Soup With Pork Meat?
Make a Pork Stew
In a large soup pot, we heat four tablespoons of sunflower oil in which we put the chopped onion to fry on medium heat.
Season with two teaspoons of sea salt and one teaspoon of freshly ground pepper, stirring occasionally, and fry until the onion softens a little, about two minutes.
After the onion has soaked, put the pork meat cut in cubes over it and let it fry a little on all sides until the meat cubes turn white.
Then we add one tablespoon of sweet Hungarian paprika powder and one tablespoon of crushed paprika cream, aromas specific to Hungarian cuisine.
Stir and let it fry for only a few seconds being careful not to burn paprika because it will become bitter, and add a litter of warm water.
Add the Cabbage
Let’s simmer for about 30 – 40 minutes until the meat is almost cooked stirring occasionally. After which, add the sliced cabbage over the meat.
Mix and pour over a canned chopped tomato, but you can use also tomato juice if you want.
I mixed everything with a wooden spoon, let the cabbage soften a little for two minutes and add the chopped dill.
Pour the water over the cabbage well covered and a little over, season with two teaspoons of sea salt and let it boil for 30-40 minutes until the cabbage is cooked.
Serve hot with a little sour cream on the top, fresh bread and chilli pepper.
If you like cabbage soup with pork meat and you want other cabbage recipes on our blog, I recommend:
- Best Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- Vegan Cabbage and Pasta Recipe
- Best Sautéed Savoy Cabbage Recipe
- Beef and Cabbage Stew Recipe
- Best Cabbage Soup Recipe
- Frankfurter Soup With Savoy Cabbage and Potatoes
Don’t forget to follow our recipes on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest pages.
Cabbage Soup with Pork Meat
- 1 Soup Pot
- 1 kg cabbage sliced
- 500 g pork shoulder cut in cubes
- 2 pieces onion chopped
- 4 tsp sea salt kosher
- 1 tsp ground pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp sweet pepper paste
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika powder Hungarian
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 bunch dill chopped
- 2 l warm water
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil or vegetable oil
- Peel the onions and chop them finely.
- Cut the pork shoulder that I cut into cubes and chop the dill.
- In a large soup pot heat the sunflower oil and put the chopped onion to fry on medium heat. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, stirring occasionally, and fry until the onion softens a little, about two minutes.
- After the onion has soaked put the pork meat cut in cubes over it and let it fry a little on all sides until the meat cubes turn white. Then add the sweet Hungarian paprika powder and the crushed paprika cream.
- Stir and let it fry for only a few seconds and add a litter of warm water. simmer for about 30 – 40 minutes until the meat is almost cooked stirring occasionally.
- Add the sliced cabbage over the meat, mix and pour over a canned chopped tomato. I mixed everything with a wooden spoon, let the cabbage soften for two minutes and add the chopped dill.
- Pour the water over the cabbage to be well covered and a little over, and let it boil for 30-40 minutes until the cabbage is cooked.
- Serve hot with a little sour cream on the top, fresh bread and chili pepper.
Sunday 6th of November 2022
Awesome recipe, thank you for sharing!!! ;)
Saturday 20th of November 2021
No mention of caraway seeds!
Monday 22nd of November 2021
I know, Vanda, that cumin seeds are added to the original recipe but I changed the recipe a little to my family's liking.